3813climate meeting Sun 2:30

  • Nan Hildreth
    Mar 4, 2006
      Here's the agenda for tomorrow's meeting of
      Houston Climate Protection Alliance, 2:30 at
      First Unitarian Universalist Church, 5200 Fannin at Southmore, room 202.

      Agenda - Houston Climate Protection Alliance - Meeting #4 - 3/5/06

      Email list: www.lists.riseup.net/www/info/ProtectHoustonsClimate
      Blog: www.greenhoustonconnecton.com then navigate to forum
      Co-facilitators: Louis C. Smith
      lsmith62@... and Deborah Rothschild rothschilddeb@...
      Today’s facilitator: Nan Hildreth NanHildreth@... 713-842-6643

      Introductions: Reporters first. What inspired
      you to come to this meeting? Have you taken any
      steps for climate protection?

      Old Business:
      · Our first press release, announcing that
      we formed, was well received.
      · Vote Tuesday and submit a resolution on
      climate or alternative energy to your
      precinct. 2 versions. How to etc on
      Email me for the peak oil/alternative energy resolution.
      · Sierra Club is looking for ways to work
      with the Mayor on energy efficiency, renewable energy.
      · David Bowers has submitted the Mayors’
      Climate Protection Agreement to Galveston’s Mayor
      David@... 1-800-765-0576 (business).

      · Please sign in
      · Good movies available to borrow. If you
      do a house party or other public showing, I can
      help promote it.
      "The Power of Wind" 11 minutes, from American Wind Energy Association.
      "Hot World, Cold Comfort" 30 min, PBS Now 12/30/05
      "End of Suburbia" 118 minutes about the end of cheap oil copies here for sale
      "Global Warming: The Signs and the Science" 1 hr from PBS. New
      “Kilowatt Ours” 30 or 60 min. Charming on energy
      efficiency & clean air. Doesn’t talk about climate. www.kilowattours.org
      · Flyers to put out about our meetings.

      New Business:
      · Mayors - 208 mayors have signed the
      Mayors Climate Protection Agreement including
      Austin & New Orleans. Louis Smith has will send
      a letter to the 136 mayors in the
      Houston-Galveston Metro Area asking them to
      sign. Who would like to help him?

      · Texas Impact is helping found Texas
      Interfaith Power and Light (TIPL), a faith based
      energy saving organization which will sell
      Renewable Energy Credits (REC). Texas Impact,
      www.TexasImpact.com is an Austin based
      organization of “people of faith working for
      justice”. Ten states now have Interfaith Power
      and Light organizations http://www.miipl.org/
      TIPL will sell renewable energy credits
      (RECs). When you buy wind electricity from
      Green Mountain or Reliant or GEXA, you are buying
      ordinary electricity and RECs. RECs can also
      offset driving. Bee Moorehead of Texas Impact
      is willing to give a public education event on
      Global Warming in early May or June. Bee could
      share the podium with Sierra and explain the
      religious view of the issue, and Texas Interfaith
      Power and Light, etc. Does anyone want to work on this?

      · Does anyone want to help me put up a website?

      · Several good folks expressed interest in
      working on a KPFT program. To be sustainable, it
      needs to be broader than just climate. This project needs a team leader.

      · Houston Social Forum 4/29 & 30,
      www.houstonsocialforum.org We may be able to do a
      workshop, but definitely can do a table. Volunteer?

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643 NanHildreth@...
      713-443-3104 cell
      3939 Luca St.