3572Re: HREG Goals

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Jan 3, 2006

      I had a friend (now deceased) who was in World War II and he told me that toward the end of the war the Germans were basically out of gasoline, so they came up with an alternative that was not great but seemed to work. Some of their vehicles had a vessel mounted on the rear that served as a kind of reactor. It was a form of pyrolysis that created a mixture of combustible gases including H2, CO, CO2, CH4, plus water vapor and others. It worked on biomass of any kind - you could pull up grass by the side of the road, twigs, or anything organic to put in the reactor.

      I had forgotten about it until discussions on this list, peak oil etc brought up some various energy sources, and I did a quick google on pyrolysis. Apparently there are quite a few companies working on this technology, primarily in Europe with the Brits and the Germans. It also generates a liquid fuel of some sort, some sludge, tar, and other byproducts. A good basic description of the process with diagrams of reactor products, equipment, etc can be found at the website of a company named Biomass Technology Group at   . I'm sure there are quite a few others.

      Is anyone familiar with this process, how close it is to being economical, what companies are doing it (possible speculative investment) and so on? Might it be of interest to us?

      Charlie
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic