      From: Gary Beck
      Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:39 PM
      Subject: [hreg] HREG Call to Action

      I agree with the suggestion of a meeting. This easily could have been Houston . We should make the time.

      I would like to hear other’s ideas for the provision of basic-needs, health, cleanup, and recovery phases*.  I would also think that the group and our joint affiliated professional resources (HREG, HARC, HFH, AIA, ASCE, TSPE, etc.) could bring to a focused and useful effort.  It would certainly be worth several after hour’s meetings.  When and where for the brainstorming? I offer my office, but it can only hold about 6-8 people. Does anyone have a suitable larger location to offer?

      FYI- FEMA offers grants for different aspects of disaster prevention and recovery.  Most of the past listed grants go through matching public organizations like cities, counties, and or in the case of Louisiana parishes etc. I have to assume that some could go through companies that offer matching funds. I am not sure if such a grant could go through a group like HREG or HARC unless it was sponsored by a deeper pockets company or professional entity.  Does anyone know how it might work?  Would it be appropriate to ask for an underling from FEMA to join such a meeting to explain how groups like HREG or HARC might best help?

      Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

      TexasEngineer.com

      Eco-Holdings LLC

      4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

      Houston, Texas 77025

      Tel: 713-668-0088

      Fax: 832-201-5338

      Cell: 713-530-1950

      * For a ‘rebuild’ phase, I have what I believe to be unique a low/medium income ‘real world but green’ neighborhood conclave design concept that needs a team approach.