3248RE: [hreg] Re: Nozzle suggestions for roof water spray?

  • Gary Beck
    Aug 22, 2005

      I did this in the 80’s with ½” pvc pipe and brass misting spray heads hidden on the back side of my roof ridge. I had these on a thermostat controlled timer which also controlled vent fans mounted inside my turbo vents. This was on a composition roof on an old ranch style house with poor attic insulation.  This was at the time (before ridge vents, before foil coated decking etc.) .The latent heat of evaporation released by the water pulls a very substantial amount of BTUs (which are quickly replaced by the Texas sun). I’m sure it was puzzling for my neighbors to see vapor coming off a hot roof with spinning turbo vents on a calm hot day.

      Today a system like this may be useful for properly designed ‘green roof”, or possibly off grid homes with access to water.  However, for new construction the many faster return options like advanced decking materials, insulation and venting systems should be considered first.    Also, this may have been mentioned already, but a caution on tile or composition roof would be discoloration due to left behind minerals which I experienced.

      Gary Beck, P.E.

      Eco-Holdings LLC

      4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

      Houston, Texas 77025