      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J. P.
      Malone
      Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:06 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] what's so great about hybrids?

      No economic benefit to a car that gets over 50+ mpg??? Can you explain
      further this comment?
      Compared to what?
      The Prius is not very expensive to purchase by comparison to other vehicles,
      such as SUV, etc.
      Without being an Scientist/engineer type, I would think that the fuel dollar
      savings over a 5-6 year period, combined with less depreciation would be an
      economic benefit.

      Currently used Prius are selling for more that the new ones, because of the
      long wait to get a new one. So there is zero depreciation other than
      repairs over the longer term. I have a Toyota which has had minimal repairs
      over 10 years.

      Please explain, I must be missing a major point. Thanks.

      J. Patrick Malone