      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Amanda Tullos
      Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:49 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Tours

      If HREG is planning for October (much nicer weather for sure!)no problem; but if anyone wants to throw their house or electric car or biodiesel into the mix, let me know.

      I will be happy to send the announcement when everything is formalized. We will charge $10, and any CEU's will be self-reporting.

      Here are short descriptions on each of the buildings:

      Emerson Unitarian Church Education building-1900 Bering Drive Preliminary LEED certification Architect - Ray Bailey Architects The 7th principal of the Unitarian Church is “To promote respect for the interdependent web of existence of which we are all a part.” Emerson Unitarian Church wanted their new educational building to reflect a strong environmental ethic and serve as a wise investment, but was unsure if they could afford a green building. Working with off the shelf technologies and products and a limited budget, Bailey Architects was able to design a building and site that will deliver long term savings in operating costs and maintenance, and provide a healthy, environmentally sound place to worship and learn. The final result is the first liturgical building in the nation to achieve LEED certification.

      American Heart Association 10060 Buffalo Speedway

      LEED Registered

      Architect

      Kirksey

      20,000 s.f. facility for the local chapter of the American Heart Association. Offices, Reception, Resource Center, Conferencing Center, and Teaching Kitchen, all overlooking a central courtyard. The goal of the project was to provide a building that reflects the client's core mission- the promotion of health and a healthy lifestyle. A green building was the perfect fit.

      The building uses 50% less exterior water, 49% less interior water and is 15% more energy efficient. 77% of the construction debris was diverted from the landfill, 80% of the construction materials contained recycled content, 78% of construction materials were manufactured locally. Air and light quality measures include low VOC paint, adhesives, sealants and carpet, protection of ductwork to prevent moisture and particulate contamination. CO2 monitoring, and natural light and views for every occupant.

      University of Texas School of Nursing and Student Community Center,

      6901 Bertner Avenue

      LEED Gold Certified

      Architects- BNIM, in collaboration with, Lake Flato Architects As BNIM Architects’ most recent example of award-winning sustainable design excellence, the School of Nursing and Student Community Center at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston establishes benchmarks for healthy buildings. Using the LEED® rating system as a platform, this building achieves the highest levels of sustainable design, resulting in practices that extend well beyond the guidelines of the LEED program. While the building is slated to achieve a Gold rating, its design accommodates systems that could eventually attain a Platinum level.

      The use of an integrated design approach resulted in numerous concepts that increase environmental quality and reduce energy use. Strategies such as rainwater collection, under-floor displacement air, daylighting, sun-shading devices, efficient mechanical systems and recycled content materials, just to name a few, were employed to minimize the building’s impact on the environment and maximize building performance.

      Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
      co-Chair
      AIA COTE - Houston
      American Institute of Architects