297RE: [hreg] Still more on the solar house

  • Dan from Texas
    Aug 16, 2000
      Marjorie: I know what you mean. The subdivision my sistem lives in in the
      Katy area has Solar water heaters, but most of them don't work. They were
      installed when the houses were built and 20 years ago, the technology was
      pretty new and the systems did not have the quality and engineering to make
      them easy to maintain and last this long. I will have to check to see what
      my sister did with the system she had on her house. Maybe I could get it to
      work again withg some repair work and modifications.

      I think a solar house could be both passive an active. If a house was built
      with passive's for the heating and cooling, a small PV system could be used
      with low voltage flouresents for lighting and some of the lower amperage
      appliances.

      There are three types of houses that can be built economically and highly
      efficent. These being concrete monolithic domes, wooden geodesic domes with
      at least R45 insulation, and late 19th century Texas style ranch house made
      of straw and adobe with wide porches and overhangs.

      On a side note, does anyone have experience using PV panels?

      Dan Stuettgen