      From: Kevin L. Conlin [mailto:kconlin@...]
      Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 1:53 PM
      To: hreg@egroups.com
      Subject: Re: [hreg] More on Solar House

      Hi Charlie, This is in response to your solar house idea. I think your
      ideas are good, but are you aware that award winning solar demonstration
      homes have already been built in Houston? Not PV powered, but with
      appropriate technology. You will have to find a progressive builder to
      cooperate with you on the project, but more importantly, how will you fund
      it? I think you will find there is a very distinct chasm between peoples
      interest and their financial support. Also, if you were expecting the
      professional members of the HREG to contribute their time and expertise,
      you're basically asking them to work for free, and I don't think that will
      be well received. It will be up to you to make this happen, your will and
      perseverance, your vision, and your money. As for public interest, this is
      not a solar conscious town, nor is it particularly interested in
      environmentally friendly technologies. You would have a better chance of
      gaining public support and funding in Austin. I know many in this group will
      disagree, but we are the exceptions, not the norm. I'm not trying to throw
      a wet blanket on your idea, but I think you need to be realistic, think it
      through, develop a house plan and business plan, and approach it like you
      cannot fail. Try to think in terms of how the technology you utilize could
      be transferred and valuable, for example, could you build a prototype prefab
      cottage that could be replicated in the eco-tourism industry? Something
      that could be shipped anywhere in a shipping container and erected in
      minimal time with little technical savvy? This is just one angle, try to
      take advantage of an emerging trend that can benefit from what you want to
      build. I realize my response is more philosophical than technical, but I've
      seen a lot of "solar demonstration homes" in my career that have not been
      successful, the biggest reason being that this is the most difficult part of
      the country to utilize solar technologies in residential construction.
      Combined with an apathetic populace, well, you've got your work cut out for
      you. Good luck. Kevin Conlin