2705RE: [hreg] Solar Power incentives in Houston, Tx

  • Andrew McCalla
    Sep 18, 2004

      Chris,

      I take umbrage with your comment regarding photovoltaic vendors.  You seemed to imply that the involvement of a pv vendor in your project would provide an inherently negative impact.  I believe you are muddling the concepts of price vs. cost.

      To be clear, there are a lot of people in the group who would like to put pv on their homes, some of whom actually have done so, and some of whom we have helped to do so.  Our function as vendors is not simply to provide equipment and labor at exorbitant mark-ups, and many of us, though not all, are committed to this industry as advocates of the technology.

      Whether you ultimately tackle a project, either by yourself or at the mercy of a vendor, I would strongly encourage you to review several sources currently available to you.  If you can’t swing the commitment of enrolling with the premier hands-on photovoltaic educational experience that Solar Energy International provides

      ( www.solarenergy.com ),   then a subscription to Home Power Magazine ( www.homepower.com ) and a thorough and consistent review of the Wrenches List (http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches) will almost certainly insure that you don’t get taken.  If you still have questions, I would suggest you call a local vendor.  My bet is that you would find them very helpful.

      Lastly, if you are looking for cheap prices, don’t bother with bulk purchase fantasies.  The web is plastered with all manner of low-service, low-margin discount shops that will be glad to drop-ship you whatever components you think you need.

      Andrew H. McCalla

      Meridian Energy Systems

      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

      Austin, TX   78704