228Re: [hreg] FW: solar lawnmowers

  • James Ferrill
    Jun 2, 2000
      Right. On the sci.chem.electrochem.battery newsgroup a number of months ago,
      we had a big thread going on to hash out the myth. The best that anyone came
      up with was back after the turn of the century, batteries were made of wooden
      boxes lined with tar paper. If you set this on a concrete floor and the
      battery leaked a little (which was fairly common), a conductive path would be
      set up that would drain the battery. Concrete reacts really well with battery
      acid. I still know people who won't put a battery on the floor unless it's
      setting on a piece of wood because of that myth.

      James

      "Kevin L. Conlin" wrote:

      > The myth about batteries and concrete is that by leaving them directly on
      > top of a concrete floor, the concrete "drains" the charge out of the
      > battery. This hasn't been true since WW2, but a lot of people still swear
      > by it since their father or grandfather drilled it into their heads. None
      > of them can ever explain why this will happen, since it normally rests on
      > conductive metal in a car, but they will adamantly swear it's true.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic