      From the EIA home page, you can access all kinds of information, however, you really have to know for what you are looking, and you have to understand how the data was obtained and what it means.   There used to be a publication called the "Annual Energy Review", the last copy I have was published in August of 2001 and was current through 2000.  That document reported annual world energy consumption was ~400 Quadrillion BTU.  Crude Oil reserves were 5,880,000 Quadrillion BTU, Natural Gas reserves were 5,200,000 quadrillion BTU (I think they included gas hydrates), and coal reserves were 22,200 Quadrillion BTU.
      (For comparison, 450,000 Quadrillion BTU of solar energy strikes the earth's surface.)

      I think EIA changed the content and name of the report to the "Annual Energy Outlook".  The most recent, 2003 (data through 2002) can be found at:
      I just found this document, and have not read it yet.  I will say more on fossil fuel reserves later if I find a difference between the 2001 publication and the 2003 publication.
      Sincerely,
      Chris

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 10:04 PM
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Media Meeting Monday Night

      Chris, can you point us to the EIA data?  I knew there was a lot of coal, but I didn't know there was that much.

      Charlie, thank you for the report and the explanation.  This peak in production was discussed at the American Solar Energy Society meeting that some of us just returned from in Austin.  I think they said the projections on world peak production were from 2005 to about 2015, with the point made that we should do something about it rather than argue exactly when.

      The conference was great! We will have a report on it by those who went at our meeting in July.