1722Re: [hreg] FW: Installation

  • C.C. Foster
    Nov 7, 2002
      Here is a brief discussio regarding angle of solar panel orientation.

      Please reply to c_c_foster@... if you prefer to get more data
      without clutter on the common site.

      The orientation (15 + latitude) has been generally accepted to be a good
      comprimise to achieve high solar energy harvest. One corrloary that is
      important is the highest solar intensity is when the sun is directly in line
      with the solar receptor.

      Consider this example: your body can sense the solar energy is less early in
      the morning or late in the afternoon and greatest about noon. A body can
      sense, also, that the solar energy is greater when the sun is high above the
      southern horizon (summer).

      Although the solar receptor (photovoltaic) uses a different form of solar
      input, the energy produced by a solar harvestor in highest about noon when
      it receives direct rays from the sun.

      An active system that includes sun tracking to keep the solar receptor aimed
      at the sun is slightly more effective and much more expensive to build and
      maintain on earth. In some applications like the space vehicles, the value
      of aiming more than offsets the complexity and cost.

      Claude