1534The San Francisco Solar Story

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Apr 29, 2002
      Dear HREGers,

      I knew that San Francisco had some kind of solar proposition on their ballot last November but never heard the details or how it came out. Turns out that it passed and it is a very interesting project which I think we should investigate seriously for Houston or for the entire state.
      You can find the details at www.votesolar.org. There are several buttons you can select as listed below. I have reproduced below the one called "The San Francisco Story" which I think is very interesting, but the others give more details and are also worth reading. I asked to be put on their list ("Contact Us") below. Would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this.
      Charlie Mauch

      THE SAN FRANCISCO STORYOn November 6, 2001, San Francisco voters overwhelmingly approved a landmark $100 million bond initiative that pays for solar panels, energy efficiency and wind turbines for public facilities. The measure pays for itself entirely from energy savings at no cost to taxpayers. With this model, San Francisco pioneered a path for funding the nation's transition to renewable energy.The mechanics are simple. The bond pays for solar panels, wind turbines and energy efficiency measures for public buildings. The money that would have gone to buy electricity from power plants instead goes to pay down the bond. The campaign for the solar revenue bond happened because San Francisco residents, like many other Californians, were plagued by blackouts, skyrocketing prices and dirty neighborhood power plants. Large-scale solar power represents an important way for people to take greater control over their future by making their own affordable, reliable, and clean energy.The effort to pass the measure became a consensus campaign. The measure earned the endorsement of organizations spanning the political spectrum from the Chamber of Commerce to the Sierra Club and almost every elected leader representing San Francisco from City Hall to Capitol Hill. The measure, which moved from a mere idea to approved legislation in less than 10 months, passed by 73%. Implementation of the bond will be handled by the city's Public Utilities Commission and will be phased in over four years.The San Francisco revenue bond model has already attracted the attention of cities around the country because of its enormous popularity with voters and its obvious fiscal advantages. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VoteSolar Home | Contact Us | Links
      The San Francisco Story
      | Why Solar? | About Revenue Bonds

      Tools to Help You

      | Press

      The effort to put solar panels on government buildings in San Francisco was supported almost universally.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic