1438Re: [hreg] Fwd: 104 KRBE Earth Day Festival - Official Inviation!

  • Steven Shepard
    Jan 31, 2002
      You may want to post your appearance information with these folks.  We have done so every year we have exhibited at the SA Earth Day event.  I always seem to receive some kind of feedback.

      Looking Back, Looking Forward:  2002 marks the 10th anniversary of the Rio Earth Summit, a historic gathering of world leaders that addressed pressing global environmental concerns.  2002 is also the 30th Anniversary of the Clean Water Act, landmark legislation that was a vital first step in the long road to restoring and preserving our water sources.  These anniversaries offer important milestones for assessing how far we have come.  Yet much work remains to be done to preserve the natural systems that sustain life.

      Looking for Organizing Ideas?  Check out the newly revised "How To" resource section at our website, at  http://www.earthday.net/howto.  You will find information on how to organize an Earth Day event, how to work effectively with volunteers, raise funds, and obtain media coverage for your efforts.  You will also find lots of event ideas and inspiring examples of how worldwide network members have celebrated Earth Day in past years.

      Earth Day On-Line Calendar: To post information about your organization's Earth Day plans, go to our on-line Events Calendar at http://www.earthday.net/signup/event.asp.  To learn about events planned in your community, visit  http://www.earthday.net/dir/event.asp. (Any problems with the web sign-up?  Need a password reminder?  Just email earthday@... and we'll be glad to help.)

      A Call to World Leaders:  In August-September 2002, the World Summit on Sustainable Development will convene in Johannesburg, a 10-year follow-up to the Rio Earth Summit.  EDN invites organizations and individuals to sign a letter urging world leaders to attend the World Summit on Sustainable Development in August and implement a strong plan of action for their country and the world. The World Summit is a unique opportunity for us to come together as a world community and address our global problems. Yet without widespread attendance and participation, the summit has little chance of success.  To sign the letter on-line, or to learn more about the World Summit, see http://www.earthday.net/goals/worldsummit.stm.

      Thank you for all your hard work during 2001.  With your help, 2002 can be a landmark year for environmental protection and education. Earth Day offers a unique opportunity to join with other concerned citizens around the world who are working toward a sustainable future.  Every individual action to "Protect Our Home" makes a difference, and when they are combined, we have a global movement to sustain our planet.

      Best wishes,
      Earth Day Network - U.S. Team
      Kathleen Rogers, President
      Jan Thomas, U.S. Program Director
      Liz Spencer, National Organizer
      Diana Lachiando, Campus Organizer
      Jim Perich-Anderson, NW Climate Action Campaign

      Earth Day is observed annually during April of each year.  For more information, see http://www.earthday.net.

      Earth Day Network
      811 1st Avenue, Suite 454
      Seattle, WA 98104 USA