      Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 5:25 PM
      Subject: [hreg] MUD in San Francisco

      Wow! Just read in The Nation that San Francisco is tired of being ripped off by PG&E and will be voting on creating a consumer-owned Municipal Utility District (MUD) whereby they will replace corporate control with democratic control of utilities. A MUD has operated for more than half a century in nearby Sacramento, where rates are now 30% lower than in SF. Of course the private utilities will spend big bucks fighting this but the polls show it is very popular.
      Two additional propositions on the ballot would have the city invest in solar and wind power projects on city property and issue bonds to help residents and businesses install their own solar panels and join neighbor solar initiatives. The goal is to have San Francisco lead the world in solar power.
      So this will be one to watch on election day. Wish we had something half that exciting going in Texas!
      Charlie