11735Bio-energy: Students Excel at Algae Biomanufacturing

  • Violeta Archer
    Jan 16, 2014
      Hello Everyone!

      Here's some positive news from our friends over at the National Algae Association. It's a nice way to start the day. There's so much happening lately in the bio-energy field, and we've lined them up to present later this spring. Also, we will be organizing a tour of their production facility in The Woodlands - not to be missed! So, enjoy the read and stay tuned!

      Best regards,

      Violeta Archer
      HREG President

      *****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

      Students See Their Future in Algae Biomanufacturing

      High school, college and university students are coming to the National Algae Association's Test Center to learn about algae biomanufacturing.  Over the last year Kingwood and Splendora High School students have come to our test center to learn about algae cultivation, harvesting and extraction technologies in a commercial environment.

      National Algae Association's On-line Algae Production Certification Course, the first of its kind, allows participants to gain an in-depth understanding of all aspects of commercial algae production, from strain selection and growing through harvesting, extraction and marketing of the end product.

      With recent investments by Exxon, Phillips 66, Chevron, Bill Gates , Mars Foundation and others, students are considering their future in the algae biomanufacturing industry for fuels and co-products an estimated $1.4 billion dollar market (Pikes Research).

      Recent student articles:

      Teenage girl creates sustainable, renewable algae biofuel under her bed

      MSU research into algal biofuels keys larger study

      Donations made possible from  LI-COR, EMERSON Process Management and other sponsors help make it possible for students to learn about the future of algae biomanufacturing at the NAA Test Center and for the algae production industry to flourish.

      Two new algae companies AlgaeQuest and AlgaeEquip started by students and vets were formed last year through the NAA Algae Production Program.  New algae production incubator company announcements are coming first quarter of 2014 with help of student involvement.

      National Algae Association is a non-profit algae education and trade association.
      4747 Research Forest Dr., Suite 180
      The Woodlands, Texas 77381
      936.321.1125