11519RE: [hreg] Hybrid Generator and Solar

  • Jim Duncan
    Jan 25, 2013

      Chris

      From the sounds of your situation the PV would be almost unnecessary if the loads were constant and the genset was able to provide 100% of the power with the grid down. With the grid available and the generator off the PV would only power a small percentage of the loads in the first two examples.

      You are correct that the generator would never see the inverter output under those circumstances. If it ever were to happen that the AC loads dropped below the PV inverter output with the generator running the generators control circuitry would very likely be damaged from the grid-tied (GT) inverter attempting to backfeed to the generator. (I think this is why there’s the general paranoia you mentioned against such system design.)

      Typical residential systems are usually designed with a critical load sub-panel fed from the grid or the generator. A transfer switch will isolate the generator feed from the grid so they are never accidently both feeding the homes main or critical loads simultaneously.

      If batteries are in the mix, the inverters could continue to charge them if a SMA Sunny Island or Outback Radian etc inverter/charger (I/C) is used along with a generator. As you alluded to, the phase-shift ability of the I/C allows the GT inverter and PV working only as long as the batteries need charging and not otherwise feed parallel current to the loads.

      In an AC coupled grid-tied system with battery backup the I/C will isolate the generator from the GT inverter because it cannot be assured that the loads will always consume >100% of the inverters output.

      It’s designed to be homeowner proof.

      Jim Duncan

      North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

      www.ntrei.com