11507Re: [hreg] Upcoming Public Hearing on South Texas Project license extension

  • Alyssa Burgin
    Jan 11, 2013
      I have a speaking engagement in the Coastal Bend that day, and probably cannot physically make it to the hearing itself, but I will certainly be happy to send in comments via email. I am particularly distressed at the timing on this--after all, parts wear out, and the project is old, and we don't really have the full story on the fire, as far as I am concerned.

      But of course, my primary concern remains water use. No matter what goodies the current Ritter proposal in the Lege brings to the state in the form of more evaporative ponds, i.e., reservoirs, it isn't going to do anything to fill up the reservoirs we have, like the Highland Lakes, in perpetuity.

      Alyssa Burgin

      On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM, SusanD <texasblessings@...> wrote:
      The Nuclear Regulatory Commission will be hosting two sessions of public hearings on the proposed Environmental Impact Statement this coming Tuesday, January 15th, with comments being accepted in person at the time or via mail or e-mail into February.  The two nuclear reactors near Bay City went online in 1987 and 1988, respectively, and were originally licensed to run for 40 years.  The application for license extensions, filed by STP in 2010, comes a full 18 years before the curent license expires and would extend plant production into 2047 and 2048.

      It seesm ridiculous to me that the Commission is considering the plant's request so early and especially in light of the ever-higher demand on the water in the Colorado River as well as ground water resources.  STP uses more water than any other entity in our area.  They have pulled as much as 50% of the flow out of the river and are entitled to I believe 1.2 million gallons of groundwater per day while our farmers are being denied water to irrigate food crops. They haev also refused to acknowledge the rise of renewables.

      Very few local people besides myself are willing to speak out against the plant or to express concerns and have officials address them.  If any of you have any interest in following developments or participating in the process, please contact me.

      There was a huge fire at the main transformer that exits Unit 2 earlier this week, crippling the unit and bringing it off line for an undetermined length of time. The back up diesel generators fired up and, thankfully, functioned properly to cool the plant.

      Thank you,
      Susan Dancer

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional