11051Re: [hreg] Trade War with China Could Cripple US Solar Industry

  • Jimmy Garrett
    Jan 16, 2012
      We still do solar thermal in the Houston area and I do believe we're te only ones, but I could be wrong. As you mentioned earlier, solar thermal can stack up fairly well vs. an electric tank, but with the price of gas as it stands now, the ROI vs. a gas system is pretty long. Feel free to give me a call and I can explain te details of the systems we install at APS.

      Regards,

      Jimmy Garrett
      Alternative Power Solutions
      Cell:     (713) 494-6795
      Office:  (713) 595-6375
      Fax:     (713) 595-6382

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 16, 2012, at 10:14 PM, mkewert@... wrote:

      Michele,
      APS is the only company in town that I know still does solar hot water.
      http://www.apowersolutions.com/residential-solar-water-heating.aspx
      If there are others, please speak up.  I'm curious too.
      Mike

      From: kevin conlin <kevin@...>
      Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:27:48 -0600
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>

      Solar thermal water heating is cost effective in Houston when replacing an electric water heater, but it’s a hard sell

      The problem is nobody in Houston gets excited about putting a water heater on their roof

      Energy wise, China produces more solar water heaters than PV panels

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design Inc
      PO Box 1938
      Alief, TX 77411
      281-202-9629
      kevin@...

      Friday, January 13, 2012

      Miami Herald
      by Jigar Shah

      Six decades ago, Gen. Omar Bradley warned that expanding the Korean War into China would be "the wrong war, at the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong enemy." Now the same could be said about the trade war that is brewing with China in the solar energy industry.

      Cutting off China and threatening U.S. solar jobs started in October when a German company with a manufacturing facility in Oregon filed a trade complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission and the Department of Commerce demanding that punitive tariffs be imposed on solar panels and cells imported from China. Just before New Year's Day, several U.S. manufacturers filed a similar petition against China and Vietnam seeking special surcharges on wind towers imported from these countries.

      Now that the first shots have been fired, there's a growing danger that China will retaliate. Already, China is considering asking the World Trade Organization to investigate alleged unfair practices in U.S. clean energy policies, including programs in Washington, California, New Jersey, Ohio and Massachusetts.

      If these frictions ignite a full-scale trade war, our country's casualties could include eliminating many of 100,000-plus good-paying jobs (which have been expected to grow to almost 124,000 at the end of 2012), delaying dozens of solar energy projects, raising prices for consumers, reducing our energy security, and reversing the progress of an industry that is running an all-too-rare trade surplus with the rest of the world, including China.

      For all the sound and fury, low prices for solar panels and cells aren't the problem, and protectionism isn't the solution. Several decades of private investment, public support and scientific progress are bearing fruit for a U.S. solar energy industry that now can generate electricity with costs, in some markets, that are competitive with power produced from fossil fuels.

      At a time when the growth rate in the entire economy is a sluggish 0.7 percent, the U.S. solar industry, now numbering almost 5,000 companies, is expanding at a rate of 6.8 percent a year. Since 2009, the sector has doubled its workforce, providing more than 100,000 high-skilled, high-wage jobs, including installers, technicians and professionals in scientific research, finance and allied services.

      Ralph Parrott

      President

      <image.jpg>

      http://www.txses.org/hreg

      IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission (including all attached pages) is intended only for the use of the named address(es), and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distributing or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy all copies and notify us immediately at this telephone number: (713) 595-6375. Thank you!

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic