10909Re: money and mileage

  • Jay Ring
    Oct 13, 2011
      It seems to me you might want to find a compressed natural gas (CNG) conversion.

      They are available in bi-fuel/dual-fuel models, so you can use gasoline when you are far from a station.

      If your home has natural gas service, you can get a home filling station, which is really just a compressor.

      The cost of CNG is significantly lower than gasoline per mile traveled. It fluctuates depending on the cost of gasoline and natural gas, but it's usually around 50% the cost of gasoline per mile traveled.

      It emits less CO2 per mile traveled too, if that is important to you.

      You do lose some HP when operating off natural gas, but you can just use gasoline if you are towing something heavy, and use CNG for the normal miles. Most conversions will have this ability.

      I believe there were some Ford F150s that were made a few years back. Maybe 2004? You should also be able to find aftermarket conversions, but it will take a lot of searching to find someone who can do it.

      I am not endorsing these guys, I never used them. But it was the first result I found for someone who would do the conversion:
      http://cngoutfitters.com/

      They have a show in Oklahoma and Louisiana. The shop in Louisiana seems very competent. With some searching, you might find someone in Houston who can do it.

      I haven't really paid much attention to it lately, but it might be a good fit for you.

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > For a car, I drive a Toyota corolla, it gets 45 on the highway. I need
      > the ability to tow a trailer of 3500 pounds. This will be a farm
      > vehicle, so hauling ability is a necessity, not optional.
      >
      > When we bought the corolla in 2007, we looked at a Prius. However, the
      > highway mileage was the same. Since we are rural, 90% of our driving is
      > highway, so our considerations are a bit different.
      >
      > I know it doesn't make any financial sense, but I think I will vote my
      > conscience with my dollars and buy the hybrid anyway.
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Garth & Kim Travis
      > www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      > Bedias, Texas
      > 936-395-0110
      >
      > On 10/13/2011 7:42 AM, Mike and Barbara McGinity wrote:
      > > I am not a math or numbers person and I am not familiar with the Toyota
      > > Highlander, but I have a Fusion Hybrid and prior to that I had a Volvo
      > > convertible. My Volvo was an older model, and I got about 23 miles on
      > > the highway. I get 36 to 37 with my Fusion. The Hybrid actually gets
      > > better mileage with stop and go in the city than the highway. It is at
      > > 37.2 right now, but if I drive to Dallas it will go down to about 36.7.
      > >
      > > Don't know if this helps you make your decision, but I can say I am very
      > > happy with my choice.
      > >
      > > Barbara McGinity

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic