10907Re: [hreg] money and mileage

  • Mike and Barbara McGinity
    Oct 13 5:42 AM
      I am not a math or numbers person and I am not familiar with the Toyota Highlander, but I have a Fusion Hybrid and prior to that I had a Volvo convertible.  My Volvo was an older model, and I got about 23 miles on the highway.  I get 36 to 37 with my Fusion.  The Hybrid actually gets better mileage with stop and go in the city than the highway.  It is at 37.2 right now, but if I drive to Dallas it will go down to about 36.7.

      Don't know if this helps you make your decision, but I can say I am very happy with my choice.

      Barbara McGinity

      On 10/13/2011 7:18 AM, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

      Greetings,

      I am looking at what it really costs to have a more fuel efficient
      vehicle. Here is what I have figured out so far.

      If I pay an extra $10,000 for a hybrid that gets 3mpg more on the
      highway, I figure it will take me 66,000 miles to break even with gas
      priced at $3.50 per gallon. I drive 90% highway, so that is the mileage
      figure most important to me.

      I figured this by looking at the number of gallons of fuel it takes to
      drive 10,000 miles. At 25mpg, that number is 400, but at 28 it is
      357.14, so I save 43 gallons. At $3.50 per gallon that is a savings of
      $150.50 per 10,000 miles. So it takes about 66,000 miles to break even.

      Considering I keep my vehicles until I wear them out, I do believe that
      paying for a hybrid will be well worth it. Considering that gas prices
      will be even higher in the future, I do believe I am being conservative
      in my comparisons. Any comments?

      Right now the Toyota Highlander Hybrid is looking good. It can tow 3500
      lbs and hauls a lot of stuff inside. It would be nicer to drive than a
      truck, and it's mileage is much higher than any truck I have looked at.
      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas