      From: Eileen Nehiley <enehiley@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, February 4, 2011 8:36:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [hreg] State of Texas need residents help with power conservation efforts immediately

      Some change is in order.

      Drove on 290 last night - a day after I was without power for 9 hours  . . . only to see all the usual lighting from every business. So who exactly is supposed to respond to the request to reduce electric usage?! The businesses clearly don't. Every business is lit up with a huge sign advertising . . . This wasn't an emergency enough to turn them off.
      So B of A, Compass Bank, etc . . their signs use power & then I have no heat at night for 9 hours.

      Eileen

      On Feb 4, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Jim Brannen wrote:

      This weeks rolling blackout is a perfect example of why ERCOT and the Investor Owned Utilities should be facilitating more Distributed Generation. My understanding is that they were about 4000MW short. There are millions of Texas consumers that could easily have 3kw solar p/v or small wind installations. These systems would seldom put power back on the grid, but greatly contribute to lighten the required demand. With the Texas legislature in session this is a wonderful moment to make the point to the PUC, ERCOT and our elected officials. With the budget crisis it is important to note, we are not looking for subsidies from the state, just that they facilitate distributed generation interconnection and some assistance from the utilities and Texas Rural Coops.

      Jim Brannen
      Southwest Windpower
      On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM, <alammey@...> wrote:

      To everyone living in Texas from Dallas to Galveston: The Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is urging all consumers who can reduce their energy consumption to do so at this time. Severe weather has led to the loss of more than 50 power generation facilities - more than 7,000 Megawatts, and additional units are continuing to trip offline due to the extreme cold temperatures. ERCOT Grid Operations has asked the utilities/transmission providers to implement rotating outages until the load is reduced through conservation and restoration of generation units. Conservation is very critical at this time to reduce the load on the system. One megawatt is roughly enough electricity to power 200 homes. Its really just as simple as turning off lights, waiting to do laundry, powering down any electronics or products that don't need to be on at this time. Please spread the word.

      Regards,

      Alan M. Lammey
      Energy Analyst & Consultant
      Host of the 'Energy Week' Radio Program