      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew McCalla
      Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:24 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] No New Drilling in Gulf for Seven Years

      While I agree with jcargas that this drilling ban will (likely) mean higher gasoline prices, and that this would hit those (in the lower income brackets) hardest, I disagree that this (the ban) is a short sighted idea.

      It would be (has been) short sighted to continuously chase the carrot of lower gasoline prices to the exclusion of so many other factors.  Rather, it (the ban) is long term idea, looking well beyond the short term (temporary) pain of higher gasoline prices, to long term energy independence and environmental stewardship.

      Sorry folks, but the United States needs a course correction, and we don’t seem to be able to muster the energy (pun intended) to implement one unless things get a little uncomfortable……….and stay that way.  It is then, and only then (historically speaking) that we readjust, create, adapt, and grow to our potential.

      From: jcargas@...

      Sender: hreg@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:47:00 -0500

      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>

      ReplyTo: hreg@yahoogroups.com

      Not unless everyone is driving an electric car.... which will take at least 15+ years to switch over our current fleet, will be more hybrid than true electric and exclude trucks and buses.  Solar and renewables do not compete with oil.  They are competing with cheap and plentiful coal.

      Instead, it will only mean higher gasoline prices as we beceme even more dependant on imported oil.  While this would accerate the move to electric vehicles, it will hit those unable to spend $25,000+ on a new car the hardest.

      Although the reported ban is limited to the Eastern Gulf, where drilling is currently not allowed, it is still a short sighed idea.