      Regarding savings, were there homes that were in the price range of the average working person other than the Habitat house which isn't available to those who have some resources? REally exciting to see that Habitat is able to install energy efficient materials! Two years ago I saw a couple of ordinary homes. This year I went to a house expecting to see renovations to make an existing home more energy efficient & instead saw a 9,000 sq. foot house whose electric bill for August would have paid my monthly mortgage, taxes, insurance & electric bill. I have to wonder how it is reducing one's Carbon footprint when the materials to build such a large house use so many resources? I am pleased that those who have so much are choosing energy efficient building. Yet until it becomes realistic for the average person,  those who can afford get reduced energy bills & tax credits while the rest cannot. I understand that the investment pays over time. Yet being able to make the investment is another issue.

      It was sad to learn that the wind generating farms are the ones required to shut down when Ercot is full given that the traditional polluting electric producers machinery takes so long to shut down & power back up. Thus the wind producers lose income while the polluters are not effected at all.

      Eileen

      On Oct 2, 2010, at 6:50 PM, mkewert@... wrote:

      Robert,
      I noticed that too.  I think in the case of the Risers that some of their monetary savings must have been from other sources (efficiency or conservation) and not all from the PV.  You could also divide kWh predicted generation per year by peak installed Watts and you should get a fairly constant number. Of course there will be some variation due to panel orientation, shading, panel characteristics, etc. even if they are all in the same city with similar amounts of sun [even that could vary between Galveston and the Woodlands].
      Mike
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Robert Johnston" <junk1@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, October 1, 2010 8:08:40 PM
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Solar Tour Guide for Saturday

      Really nice job to all involved!  Great looking tour and guide.

      One question:  Does anyone check the claimed energy savings?  They seem to me to be grossly inflated in several cases.  For example, the Riser home (p. 10) is said to provide 4374 kWh annually, providing $1740 worth of energy annually.  That’s $0.40/kwh!!  Nobody pays that kind of rate.  By comparison, Burghli Homes (also p. 10) says their system provides 6208 kwh or $930/yr worth of energy.  That works out to $0.15/kwh which is still high but not too far from reality (around $0.10/kwh currently).  Am I missing something, or are some of these figures inflated?

      Robert