[hr100] Food at Hardrock

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
      I keep forgetting that when I reply to someone it goes
      to the whole list. I think one of the reasons for the
      high finish rate last year was better food at the aid
      stations. The egg and bacon burritos with milk were
      delicious at Grouse Gulch at 4 AM. I did the race
      without crew or drop bags.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • GRoachHigh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
        I heard about those burritos and that's why I signed up for HR100. (well, one
        of the many reasons....)

        A suggestion for this year's course: String up a handline for that slimey
        one-log crossing of Cottonwood Creek at Cataract Gulch (one line on each side
        would be even better) Two people slipped off that log last year and took a
        dunking. That creek runs swiftly and can be dangerous.
        Just a suggestion.

        Jennifer Roach
        Boulder, CO.
      • Herr, Dennis B.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
          > A suggestion for this year's course: String up a handline for that slimey
          > one-log crossing of Cottonwood Creek at Cataract Gulch (one line on each
          > side
          > would be even better) Two people slipped off that log last year and took a
          >
          > dunking. That creek runs swiftly and can be dangerous.

          No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to dummy-down the
          course, where does it end? What's next - a guardrail along
          Bear Creek, Ouray or helium ballons to make the climbs
          easier? Participants should rely more on their own ingenuity
          and less on the race organization to safely and successfully
          negotiate the challenges of the course.

          Dennis Herr
        • Carl & Sally Yates
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
            Sounds like you Dennis!

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
              --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
              > No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to
              > dummy-down the
              > course, where does it end

              And while we're at it, lets get rid of the ropes at
              the river crossings and Virginius Pass. And lets get
              rid of the course markings. You should be able to
              read a map. And no crews, pacers, or drop bags
              allowed. And no aid stations. Lets make this a REAL
              race.

              Seriously, though, keep the race the way it is. If
              you don't want to balance on a slippery log 10 feet
              above the creek at Sherman, go through it like they
              made us do in 1998.

              =====
              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Blake P. Wood
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log (the one
                right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied across
                straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of hard on the
                butt, but much better than falling into a swift creek at 3 am.
                There IS a way to do it safely.

                - Blake

                Blake P. Wood
                Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
                Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
                (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
                http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                  --- "Blake P. Wood" <bwood@...> wrote:
                  > Last year, I was too chicken to walk across this log
                  > (the one
                  > right out of the Sherman aid station), and shinnied
                  > across
                  > straddling it. The nubbins of branch were kind of
                  > hard on the
                  > butt, but much better than falling into a swift
                  > creek at 3 am.
                  > There IS a way to do it safely.

                  Yes, if you slow down a bit you could do it in
                  daylight.
                  :-)

                  =====
                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Mitchell A. Rossman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                    Now that sounds like my kind of race! No aid, no pacers, no markings. Just
                    adventure!

                    Mitch Rossman
                    Minneapolis

                    Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/11/2000 09:41:31 AM

                    Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

                    To: hr100@egroups.com
                    cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)

                    --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
                    > No way! This is Hardrock. If we start to
                    > dummy-down the
                    > course, where does it end

                    And while we're at it, lets get rid of the ropes at
                    the river crossings and Virginius Pass. And lets get
                    rid of the course markings. You should be able to
                    read a map. And no crews, pacers, or drop bags
                    allowed. And no aid stations. Lets make this a REAL
                    race.

                    Seriously, though, keep the race the way it is. If
                    you don't want to balance on a slippery log 10 feet
                    above the creek at Sherman, go through it like they
                    made us do in 1998.

                    =====

                    eLerts!
                    Save on products you choose.