[hr100] Re: trail shoe crampons

  • Keri French
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
      Jennifer: I found a good pair of very lightweight crampons made by CAMP. They
      are made of a lightweight alloy, they have 6 points (no front points), they
      are adjustable and lace up with a strong and light nylon strap. They fit under
      the front portion of your shoe and are fairly straight forward to put on. I
      have them available in a key dropbag (Ouray) in case I feel the conditions &
      time of day might warrant them. I haven't had to use them yet on the course.
      It would be wise to road test them and get real good at putting them on prior
      to HR. For availability check at any good mountaineering shop. There is
      another type out that sit under the arch of your foot and attach with some
      large rubber bands and don't cost much. They appeared to be made for short
      term use on flat ground and probably wouldn't work well in the San Juans. Good
      luck!

      Jan Gnass
      Bishop,CA

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
        --- Rich Limacher <TheTroubadour@...> wrote:

        > But be sure to buy the REAL kind: the black ugly,
        > sharp, 10- or 12-point genuine mountain-climbing
        > kind. You won't regret it.

        I have full length crampons, by Cassin (also an ice
        axe). They are designed to work with hard boots and
        do not work with running shoes. The straps (metal
        springs) dig into your ankle above the top of the
        shoe, and they slip off easily. I only wore them once
        while climbing the steep snowfields on Grant-Swamp
        pass during training, and ended up taking them off for
        most of the climb and never used them again.

        I also inquired about small, instep crampons at an
        outdoor shop in Leadville. They were skeptical about
        using them with running shoes. Suzy T. once commented
        that instep crampons are OK if you like running with a
        2 inch ball of ice stuck to your arch.

        I don't remember any place in Hardrock where I really
        needed crampons during the last 3 years. Even if you
        have to cross steep, frozen snowfields, there will be
        steps in it from the runners ahead of you (unless
        you're Blake Wood). Occasionally I'll pick up a
        couple of sharp rocks to use as temporary ice axes.

        Last year I wore Montrails, which have a hard toebox
        which is useful for kicking into crusty snow. My main
        beef with them is they take a long time to dry out
        after a stream crossing (about 3 hours). There is no
        way for the water to drain out from the synthetic
        leather upper, so after a crossing I would have to lie
        on my back with my feet in the air to drain them. I
        also waded many creeks barefoot when I knew there
        wouldn't be any more water for awhile. Both of these
        methods obviously waste time during a race, but so do
        wet, heavy shoes.

        I'm seriously considering wearing some Asics XC racing
        flats this year, after I test them in snow, of course.
        (Since I live in Florida, that won't be until June).
        I figure a lighter, softer shoe will dry faster. I
        already wore them at Ancient Oaks 100 without socks or
        blisters, and will try them at Barkley next month.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • John Cappis
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
          All:

          I have found the discussion about trail shoe crampons to be very
          interesting. I have never worn crampons during the Hardrock, but have
          used them on other runs. The crampons I used were the old style 12
          point with leather straps to hold them on. They were hinged in the
          middle and by taking them apart at the hinge, I had a nice four point
          heel crampon that stayed on my shoe well. One problem was if there was
          any wet snow on the course it balled up in the crampon and pretty soon
          I was on high heels that were very slick. Great fun for glissading, but
          spooky on the steep stuff where you really wanted to stay attached.

          The last three years, the snow level on the course has been down.
          Before that, we had one year running in the counter clockwise direction
          where there was so much snow and ice from below the Virginius Mine to
          Virginius Pass that the course was routed off the road and steps had to
          be cut for about a mile.

          My advice, if you have some crampons you can try and will feel
          comfortable with, bring them along. Whether you will want to use them
          or not is dependent on what mother nature does to us between now and
          then as far as snow fall, wind, melting and freezing and who knows what
          else. I wouldn't wait until run day to see if they are going to work
          though.
        • Mitchell A Rossman
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 9, 2000
            John:

            I have both 12 point and 4 point crampons. The 12 point crampons are
            designed to be worn with either plastic or extremely thick-soled leather
            mountaineering boots. With such a rigid sole, they work like a champ.
            However, I would never ever think of wearing them with flexible trail shoes.
            Four-point crampons are more suitable for trail shoes.

            Mitch Rossman
            Mendota Heights, MN

            >I have found the discussion about trail shoe crampons to be very
            >interesting. I have never worn crampons during the Hardrock, but have
            >used them on other runs. The crampons I used were the old style 12
            >point with leather straps to hold them on. They were hinged in the
            >middle and by taking them apart at the hinge, I had a nice four point
            >heel crampon that stayed on my shoe well. One problem was if there was
            >any wet snow on the course it balled up in the crampon and pretty soon
            >I was on high heels that were very slick. Great fun for glissading, but
            >spooky on the steep stuff where you really wanted to stay attached.
            >
            >The last three years, the snow level on the course has been down.
            >Before that, we had one year running in the counter clockwise direction
            >where there was so much snow and ice from below the Virginius Mine to
            >Virginius Pass that the course was routed off the road and steps had to
            >be cut for about a mile.
            >
            >My advice, if you have some crampons you can try and will feel
            >comfortable with, bring them along. Whether you will want to use them
            >or not is dependent on what mother nature does to us between now and
            >then as far as snow fall, wind, melting and freezing and who knows what
            >else. I wouldn't wait until run day to see if they are going to work
            >though.

            >Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
            >supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!

            >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hr100/?m=1

          • Michael A. Farris
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 10, 2000
              Hi,
              I'll throw my instep crampons (not my 10-12 point full length
              crampons) into the bag. Fit your instep crampons carefully; the
              straps may need to be modified to fit on a running shoe. To help stop
              snow balling up under the crampon, take a Clorox bottle and cut out
              the sides (so you have a flat piece of plastic). Stab the crampons
              through and trim off the excess. Now figure out a way to securely
              attach this to the crampon (duct tape?) and you have an anti-balling
              plate.

              If the snow is at all hard, rocks and tent stakes won't do much good
              for self-arrest. There are only a couple of spots where the runout is
              poor, though.

              Mike
              Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
              Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris