[hr100] Re: trail shoe crampons

  • Keri French
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
      Jennifer: I found a good pair of very lightweight crampons made by CAMP. They
      are made of a lightweight alloy, they have 6 points (no front points), they
      are adjustable and lace up with a strong and light nylon strap. They fit under
      the front portion of your shoe and are fairly straight forward to put on. I
      have them available in a key dropbag (Ouray) in case I feel the conditions &
      time of day might warrant them. I haven't had to use them yet on the course.
      It would be wise to road test them and get real good at putting them on prior
      to HR. For availability check at any good mountaineering shop. There is
      another type out that sit under the arch of your foot and attach with some
      large rubber bands and don't cost much. They appeared to be made for short
      term use on flat ground and probably wouldn't work well in the San Juans. Good
      luck!

      Jan Gnass
      Bishop,CA

      GRoachHigh@... wrote:

      > I am debating about these little crampons that can be slipped over trail
      > shoes for the steeper or icy snow fields enroute on the Hardrock course. I
      > have inquired with many veterans of the event. Some say they have used them.
      > Some say they do not bother.
      >
      > Are they useful at HR100 and, if so, what kind should I buy? The ones I
      > looked at recently don't appear as though they could stop ones feet from
      > slipping.
      >
      > Jennifer Roach
      > Boulder, CO>

      > eGroups eLerts!
      > It’s easy. It’s fun. Best of all, it’s free.

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1
    • Carl & Sally Yates
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
        Good idea. That Grant Swamp scree finished me off 2 yrs. ago. I was thiking
        of using an ice axe or one pole left at Chapman.
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
          --- Rich Limacher <TheTroubadour@...> wrote:

          > But be sure to buy the REAL kind: the black ugly,
          > sharp, 10- or 12-point genuine mountain-climbing
          > kind. You won't regret it.

          I have full length crampons, by Cassin (also an ice
          axe). They are designed to work with hard boots and
          do not work with running shoes. The straps (metal
          springs) dig into your ankle above the top of the
          shoe, and they slip off easily. I only wore them once
          while climbing the steep snowfields on Grant-Swamp
          pass during training, and ended up taking them off for
          most of the climb and never used them again.

          I also inquired about small, instep crampons at an
          outdoor shop in Leadville. They were skeptical about
          using them with running shoes. Suzy T. once commented
          that instep crampons are OK if you like running with a
          2 inch ball of ice stuck to your arch.

          I don't remember any place in Hardrock where I really
          needed crampons during the last 3 years. Even if you
          have to cross steep, frozen snowfields, there will be
          steps in it from the runners ahead of you (unless
          you're Blake Wood). Occasionally I'll pick up a
          couple of sharp rocks to use as temporary ice axes.

          Last year I wore Montrails, which have a hard toebox
          which is useful for kicking into crusty snow. My main
          beef with them is they take a long time to dry out
          after a stream crossing (about 3 hours). There is no
          way for the water to drain out from the synthetic
          leather upper, so after a crossing I would have to lie
          on my back with my feet in the air to drain them. I
          also waded many creeks barefoot when I knew there
          wouldn't be any more water for awhile. Both of these
          methods obviously waste time during a race, but so do
          wet, heavy shoes.

          I'm seriously considering wearing some Asics XC racing
          flats this year, after I test them in snow, of course.
          (Since I live in Florida, that won't be until June).
          I figure a lighter, softer shoe will dry faster. I
          already wore them at Ancient Oaks 100 without socks or
          blisters, and will try them at Barkley next month.

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • John Cappis
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8, 2000
            All:

            I have found the discussion about trail shoe crampons to be very
            interesting. I have never worn crampons during the Hardrock, but have
            used them on other runs. The crampons I used were the old style 12
            point with leather straps to hold them on. They were hinged in the
            middle and by taking them apart at the hinge, I had a nice four point
            heel crampon that stayed on my shoe well. One problem was if there was
            any wet snow on the course it balled up in the crampon and pretty soon
            I was on high heels that were very slick. Great fun for glissading, but
            spooky on the steep stuff where you really wanted to stay attached.

            The last three years, the snow level on the course has been down.
            Before that, we had one year running in the counter clockwise direction
            where there was so much snow and ice from below the Virginius Mine to
            Virginius Pass that the course was routed off the road and steps had to
            be cut for about a mile.

            My advice, if you have some crampons you can try and will feel
            comfortable with, bring them along. Whether you will want to use them
            or not is dependent on what mother nature does to us between now and
            then as far as snow fall, wind, melting and freezing and who knows what
            else. I wouldn't wait until run day to see if they are going to work
            though.
          • Mitchell A Rossman
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2000
              John:

              I have both 12 point and 4 point crampons. The 12 point crampons are
              designed to be worn with either plastic or extremely thick-soled leather
              mountaineering boots. With such a rigid sole, they work like a champ.
              However, I would never ever think of wearing them with flexible trail shoes.
              Four-point crampons are more suitable for trail shoes.

              Mitch Rossman
              Mendota Heights, MN

              >I have found the discussion about trail shoe crampons to be very
              >interesting. I have never worn crampons during the Hardrock, but have
              >used them on other runs. The crampons I used were the old style 12
              >point with leather straps to hold them on. They were hinged in the
              >middle and by taking them apart at the hinge, I had a nice four point
              >heel crampon that stayed on my shoe well. One problem was if there was
              >any wet snow on the course it balled up in the crampon and pretty soon
              >I was on high heels that were very slick. Great fun for glissading, but
              >spooky on the steep stuff where you really wanted to stay attached.
              >
              >The last three years, the snow level on the course has been down.
              >Before that, we had one year running in the counter clockwise direction
              >where there was so much snow and ice from below the Virginius Mine to
              >Virginius Pass that the course was routed off the road and steps had to
              >be cut for about a mile.
              >
              >My advice, if you have some crampons you can try and will feel
              >comfortable with, bring them along. Whether you will want to use them
              >or not is dependent on what mother nature does to us between now and
              >then as far as snow fall, wind, melting and freezing and who knows what
              >else. I wouldn't wait until run day to see if they are going to work
              >though.

              >Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
              >supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!

              >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hr100/?m=1

            • Michael A. Farris
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2000
                Hi,
                I'll throw my instep crampons (not my 10-12 point full length
                crampons) into the bag. Fit your instep crampons carefully; the
                straps may need to be modified to fit on a running shoe. To help stop
                snow balling up under the crampon, take a Clorox bottle and cut out
                the sides (so you have a flat piece of plastic). Stab the crampons
                through and trim off the excess. Now figure out a way to securely
                attach this to the crampon (duct tape?) and you have an anti-balling
                plate.

                If the snow is at all hard, rocks and tent stakes won't do much good
                for self-arrest. There are only a couple of spots where the runout is
                poor, though.

                Mike
                Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris