Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Hardrock Diet

Expand Messages
  • Klondike4@aol.com
    Just returned from my first post-Hardrock run and I m wiped out and feeling exhausted - might be the humidity (I sure missed that) or the 12lbs of weight I ve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2004
      Just returned from my first post-Hardrock run and I'm wiped out and feeling
      exhausted - might be the humidity (I sure missed that) or the 12lbs of weight
      I've lost, or just the sweet feeling of exertion; but it just felt so good to
      be running again - I can only imagine what it would be like had I actually run

      Flashback to Prerace: Arrived in Silverton after a two day cross country
      drive with my son, set up camp and went for a quick late afternoon hike to above
      12K (lungs hadn't arrived yet unfortunately) Met with the trail marking group
      the next morn and spent the day mostly above 12K, hiking 20 miles through
      sun,rain,snow,sun, etc. with great folks and spectacular vistas. Thought I might
      have picked the wrong day for my son's first exposure to long days in the mtns
      (10 hrs) - but everyone was so supportive and he had a ball - enough so to get
      up and do it again the next day, going to the course high point (14K at 14
      yrs) and finished tired but really happy - spent the evening with folks eating goo
      d food and telling stories - laughed lots. On the drive back to camp two
      stories stuck with my son - deb pero's duck taping flip flops to her feet so she
      could run the last five miles of Bighorn, and my oversleeping the MMT start -
      to which he asked again if I had finished? I had, but had walked in the last 25
      with "the runs" - he thought about that for a minute and said, ya know if Deb
      can duck tape flip flops to her feet and run in, then you can certainly duck
      tape a bag to your ass and run in, ya wimp - what could I say, he finally
      understood ultrarunning.
      Left Silverton for a few days to do some rock climbing, but came back early
      with the rest of the family (wife and daughter) to enjoy the mountain setting.
      Went for a great family hike to Ice lake and splurged on a night at the Wyman
      - wow, what a comfortable feather bed and incredible breakfast, really took
      the edge off of the previous weeks' camping and my cooking. The family then left
      me in Silverton, to go visit w/old friends in Telluride and be my aid on the
      way through.

      Day Before the Run: Check in and pre race briefing = information overload!
      The detailed briefing was a wonderful recap to the days of trail marking
      and provided great insight into the days missed - now if I could only remember
      to wake up on time. Relax, obsess and repeat was the order of the day. The
      prerun meal was on par with everything else in Silverton, runner friendly,
      well organized and delicious.

      Night Before the Run: Queasy feelings amounted to more than nerves, as the
      evening and night was spent praying to the porcelain gods and lying in a
      fetal position - desperately trying to not waken my roommate (who graciously
      shared his abode) Morning brought an hour of restless sleep and uncertainties
      as to the sanity of showing up at the start. Half a muffin and some juice
      went down ok, and the starting line appeared in a caffeine deficit stupor.

      Run Morning: It felt good to be moving in the crisp morning air, for about
      an hour - then my body decided to reenact a scene from the exorcist (sorry
      for the graphic presentation Hans!) and from then on refused to keep anything
      down. With ever decreasing energy levels, my day - over before it began -
      ended feeling as green as it had begun at KT - whose volunteers had me whisked
      into town before I hardly had a chance to sit down, where the day was spent
      again praying to the porcelain throne.

      Aftermath: Was able to cheer the finishers - feeling equally physically and
      emotionally drained, though for vastly differing reasons - It was a pleasure
      to share the moment and applaud all those completing their quest to smooch
      a large rock. I left Sivlerton, over 10 lbs lighter and somewhat frustrated
      with the circumstance, but thrilled with the experience that is Hardrock.
      And so now, the Lottery Gods willing, I get a second chance to be a virgin
      (how often does that happen) To all those involved - THANKS - for its the
      people who make the experience, and what a wonderful experience it is!
      Jeff Wilbur
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.