Re: Sunlight 50K Saturday

  • tkapres@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2004
      In a message dated 6/24/04 12:10:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      matmahoney@... writes:
      Saturday June 26 looks like good weather for the Sunlight 50K. (I know
      this is short notice, but I warned you). I will be camping at the
      Purgatory campground on US550 (20 mi. S of Silverton CO) in a rented white
      Grand Caravan with temp. tags (07/07/04) on Friday evening. We can discuss
      preferred starting times then. The route is described at
      http://mattmahoney.net/sunlight/ Bring an FRS radio if you have one and
      set for channel 3.

      =====
      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

      Good luck to all, Bill Losey and myself will shoot for the following
      weekend. I fly out to Colorado today and Bill is coming out on July 1st.

      Thanks,

      Bob Combs

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        Sunlight 50K: 1 starter, 0 finishers. The speed record still stands at
        22:03.

        Nobody else showed up at the Purgatory trailhead on Friday evening so I
        went by myself. I climbed Windom under mostly sunny skies, but turned back
        on Sunlight about 50 ft below the summit in a snowstorm. I did not attempt
        Eolus. My splits were:

        12:41 AM, Purgatory TH, 8800 ft.
        2:12 AM, Animas river, 4.6 mi, 7700 ft.
        4:00 AM, Needle Creek TH, 11.3 mi, 8300 ft.
        6:20 AM, Top of Chicago Basin, 15 mi, about 11,000 ft.
        9:14 AM, Windom, 16-17 mi, 14087 ft.
        11:10 AM, below Sunlight, 17-18 mi, about 14,000 ft.
        1:00 PM, Chicago Basin
        2:24 PM, Needle Creek TH
        6:19 PM, return to Purgatory, about 32-34 miles.

        The route is described at http://mattmahoney.net/sunlight/
        It was in the 40's and partly cloudy at the start with no moon. The first
        15 miles of trail was easy, but skirted within inches of some 300 ft.
        cliffs where I could point my flashlight down and see treetops. The nest
        1/2 mile climbed 1000 ft to Twin Lakes at about 12,000 ft. There are many
        side trails that dead end, one of which I took by mistake, so I bushwacked
        up through willows and occasional class 3 slabs to the right of the
        waterfall. The lakes were frozen and the basin was filled with hard packed
        snow. Since I was closest to Windom, I climbed it first. This was a 30
        degree snow climb, which I could walk up without an ice axe in my Walsh
        fell running shoes even though the snow was frozen solid. The final ridge
        to the summit was mostly dry class 3 scrambling over huge boulders with
        occasional patches of ice and exposed snow.

        I descended to the high basin across snow and traversed left up the mostly
        dry face of Sunlight to meet up with a steep class 2+ trail as dark clouds
        gathered. The final 50 ft. was class 4 and it was here that pellet snow
        started falling and I heard distant thunder. I descended by the quickest
        way down, which involved glissading on snow up to 45 deg. where an ice axe
        would have helped. But since I didn't have one, the only way to stop was
        to hit the rocks at the bottom with my feet out. Below 13,000 ft. the snow
        had softened and I was postholing. Below treeline the snow turned to rain
        which continued off and on for the next 4 hours.

        I don't plan to attempt this again this year, so if anyone wants to attempt
        the speed record, let me know and I will post a trip report on my web page.
        If you do go, the campground has been torn down but the trailhead is still
        open. (I just parked my van there and slept for 3 hours before the run).
        I suggest choosing better weather. I plan to stay in the Leadville hostel
        and climb a couple 14ers, run the marathon on Saturday, then go to
        Silverton for the 10K on Sunday and Hardrock next week.

        =====
        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
      • rock cogar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004