[hr100] trail shoe crampons

  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7 9:14 PM
      I am debating about these little crampons that can be slipped over trail
      shoes for the steeper or icy snow fields enroute on the Hardrock course. I
      have inquired with many veterans of the event. Some say they have used them.
      Some say they do not bother.

      Are they useful at HR100 and, if so, what kind should I buy? The ones I
      looked at recently don't appear as though they could stop ones feet from
      slipping.

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO>
    • Keri French
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8 3:43 AM
        Jennifer: I found a good pair of very lightweight crampons made by CAMP. They
        are made of a lightweight alloy, they have 6 points (no front points), they
        are adjustable and lace up with a strong and light nylon strap. They fit under
        the front portion of your shoe and are fairly straight forward to put on. I
        have them available in a key dropbag (Ouray) in case I feel the conditions &
        time of day might warrant them. I haven't had to use them yet on the course.
        It would be wise to road test them and get real good at putting them on prior
        to HR. For availability check at any good mountaineering shop. There is
        another type out that sit under the arch of your foot and attach with some
        large rubber bands and don't cost much. They appeared to be made for short
        term use on flat ground and probably wouldn't work well in the San Juans. Good
        luck!

        Jan Gnass
        Bishop,CA

        GRoachHigh@... wrote:

        > I am debating about these little crampons that can be slipped over trail
        > shoes for the steeper or icy snow fields enroute on the Hardrock course. I
        > have inquired with many veterans of the event. Some say they have used them.
        > Some say they do not bother.
        >
        > Are they useful at HR100 and, if so, what kind should I buy? The ones I
        > looked at recently don't appear as though they could stop ones feet from
        > slipping.
        >
        > Jennifer Roach
        > Boulder, CO>

        > eGroups eLerts!
        > It’s easy. It’s fun. Best of all, it’s free.

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1
      • Keri French
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8 4:28 AM

          GRoachHigh@... wrote:

          > I am debating about these little crampons that can be slipped over trail
          > shoes for the steeper or icy snow fields enroute on the Hardrock course. I
          > have inquired with many veterans of the event. Some say they have used them.
          > Some say they do not bother.
          >
          > Are they useful at HR100 and, if so, what kind should I buy? The ones I
          > looked at recently don't appear as though they could stop ones feet from
          > slipping.
          >
          > Jennifer Roach
          > Boulder, CO>

          > eGroups eLerts!
          > It’s easy. It’s fun. Best of all, it’s free.

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1
        • Roger Wiegand
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8 8:20 AM
            I would never want crampons on the steep snowfields. The slopes generally
            have good runouts, and there will be plenty of steps kicked into the slope,
            even if I arrive after it has cooled off and hardened. (We will be
            ascending, not descending, the serious slopes this year. Moreover, we'll be
            past Grant-Swamp -- the last major challenge -- before nightfall on the
            second day.) The only terrain where little instep crampons (the only kind I
            have ever considered carrying) might be useful is on verglas. This was a
            problem for the faster runners in 1997 on Handies, but by the time I arrived
            it was gloriously warm and sunny, and the rocks were dry. I hope to be off
            the upper reaches of Handies by nightfall this year, though it might be
            possible to be on the top of Handies after sunset and still make it in under
            48 hours (barely). Once again, I will leave the little instep crampons in my
            drawer.

            Roger

            Roger A. Wiegand
            http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand
          • Rich Limacher
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8 9:21 AM
              Buy 'em!

              But be sure to buy the REAL kind: the black ugly, sharp,
              10- or 12-point genuine mountain-climbing kind. You won't
              regret it.

              I've bought mine! And they're fabulous. With these suckers
              on, I don't believe I could fall off a glacier even if it
              stood straight up! (And at THIS race, trust me, they do.)

              Last year I was such a novice out there, it was a joke. I
              didn't even know what "crampons" are. And, of course, I
              DNF'd.

              This year, I am armed, footed, and dangerous. I got the
              gear, and I'll be ready. I advise without hesitation that
              everyone else "get in gear," too. (I'll bet the veterans
              who said they "do not bother" are also the ones who run
              races barefoot, use no pacers or dropbags, and survive in
              the wild for weeks on end eating bark.) :-)

              But from my more sissified perspective, Hardrock is no joke.
              It isn't kidding. So don't you be, either.

              Never mind the cheap junk you can mail-order from Miles
              Kimball. Go to REI or The North Face and buy the real
              thing. Crampons are EXPENSIVE. Mine set me back over a
              hundred bucks. But, hey, what's your life worth to you?

              I figure mine's valued at roughly $110, so I have nine more
              dollars to play with.

              Go shopping, Jennifer! See you out there in just four more
              months!

              Rich Limacher
              TheTroubadour@...

              I am debating about these little crampons that can be
              slipped over trail
              shoes for the steeper or icy snow fields enroute on the
              Hardrock course. I
              have inquired with many veterans of the event. Some say they
              have used them.
              Some say they do not bother.

              Are they useful at HR100 and, if so, what kind should I buy?
              The ones I
              looked at recently don't appear as though they could stop
              ones feet from
              slipping.

              Jennifer Roach
              Boulder, CO>

              ------------
            • Carl & Sally Yates
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8 9:25 AM
                Roger- Before nightfall the 2nd day? Goodluck! I've lost at least one of
                every pair I've carried. Now I have one I didn't lose and one I picked up
                someone else lost. There may be convenient ones to carry and wear out there
                somewhere but I haven't found them. Say hello to Sylvia. Carl

              • danar@us.ibm.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8 10:16 AM
                  I've carried instep crampons for the two years I was at Hardrock and didn't
                  use them one step in either year. The first year, 1996, there wasn't any
                  snow to use them on. The second year, 1997, was buried and I still didn't
                  use them. What did help in 97 was a pair of cheap, plastic, 8 inch tent
                  stakes.

                  If there is snow/ice, they can help give a little extra security. Hold one
                  in each hand, jam them into the snow and hold on as you go. We are going
                  in the opposite direction as in 97 but they helped traversing the slope in
                  American basin and also on top of Divies-Little Giant. They may help in
                  those same places again and on Virgineous and Grant-Swamp. I may try them
                  on Grant-Swamp even if it is all dirt and scree. They may help limit me
                  from sliding back down the scree as much. It is disheartening after 85
                  miles to take one step forward only to slide back two steps. Maybe using
                  all fours, I can scramble up that monster a little quicker.

                  As others have mentioned, there will most likely be foot holds in the snow.
                  What is nice if your concerned about sliding off the side of a mountain is
                  to have something to hold on to. They work like mini ice axes but don't
                  weigh anything.

                  Dana

                  Dana Roueche
                  Boulder, CO
                  mailto:danar@...
                  tieline: 419-7020, 6-7020
                  Outside line: 303-354-7020
                • Blake P. Wood
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8 10:26 AM
                    I carried instep crampons in '97 and '98. In '97 (a heavy snow
                    year) I used them through American Basin in the middle of the
                    night, and in '98 I used them ascending the final pitch of
                    Virginius just before dawn. Both times they gave me some piece
                    of mind, but other runners without them seemed to be doing just
                    fine, and I lost a bit of time getting them on and off. In
                    American Basin they were a problem because I couldn't easily run
                    on the rock patches with them, so it was either stick to the
                    snow or keep taking them on and off. I don't plan to use them
                    again, although I will probably throw them in my bag to take to
                    Silverton, just in case, as long as I already have them.

                    Although I didn't use one, I the tent stake that Dana mentioned
                    is probably a better solution.

                    Blake P. Wood
                    Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
                    Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
                    (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
                    http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
                  • Carl & Sally Yates
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8 2:26 PM
                      Good idea. That Grant Swamp scree finished me off 2 yrs. ago. I was thiking
                      of using an ice axe or one pole left at Chapman.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8 2:38 PM
                        --- Rich Limacher <TheTroubadour@...> wrote:

                        > But be sure to buy the REAL kind: the black ugly,
                        > sharp, 10- or 12-point genuine mountain-climbing
                        > kind. You won't regret it.

                        I have full length crampons, by Cassin (also an ice
                        axe). They are designed to work with hard boots and
                        do not work with running shoes. The straps (metal
                        springs) dig into your ankle above the top of the
                        shoe, and they slip off easily. I only wore them once
                        while climbing the steep snowfields on Grant-Swamp
                        pass during training, and ended up taking them off for
                        most of the climb and never used them again.

                        I also inquired about small, instep crampons at an
                        outdoor shop in Leadville. They were skeptical about
                        using them with running shoes. Suzy T. once commented
                        that instep crampons are OK if you like running with a
                        2 inch ball of ice stuck to your arch.

                        I don't remember any place in Hardrock where I really
                        needed crampons during the last 3 years. Even if you
                        have to cross steep, frozen snowfields, there will be
                        steps in it from the runners ahead of you (unless
                        you're Blake Wood). Occasionally I'll pick up a
                        couple of sharp rocks to use as temporary ice axes.

                        Last year I wore Montrails, which have a hard toebox
                        which is useful for kicking into crusty snow. My main
                        beef with them is they take a long time to dry out
                        after a stream crossing (about 3 hours). There is no
                        way for the water to drain out from the synthetic
                        leather upper, so after a crossing I would have to lie
                        on my back with my feet in the air to drain them. I
                        also waded many creeks barefoot when I knew there
                        wouldn't be any more water for awhile. Both of these
                        methods obviously waste time during a race, but so do
                        wet, heavy shoes.

                        I'm seriously considering wearing some Asics XC racing
                        flats this year, after I test them in snow, of course.
                        (Since I live in Florida, that won't be until June).
                        I figure a lighter, softer shoe will dry faster. I
                        already wore them at Ancient Oaks 100 without socks or
                        blisters, and will try them at Barkley next month.

                        =====
                        http://im.yahoo.com
                      • John Cappis
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 8 9:11 PM
                          All:

                          I have found the discussion about trail shoe crampons to be very
                          interesting. I have never worn crampons during the Hardrock, but have
                          used them on other runs. The crampons I used were the old style 12
                          point with leather straps to hold them on. They were hinged in the
                          middle and by taking them apart at the hinge, I had a nice four point
                          heel crampon that stayed on my shoe well. One problem was if there was
                          any wet snow on the course it balled up in the crampon and pretty soon
                          I was on high heels that were very slick. Great fun for glissading, but
                          spooky on the steep stuff where you really wanted to stay attached.

                          The last three years, the snow level on the course has been down.
                          Before that, we had one year running in the counter clockwise direction
                          where there was so much snow and ice from below the Virginius Mine to
                          Virginius Pass that the course was routed off the road and steps had to
                          be cut for about a mile.

                          My advice, if you have some crampons you can try and will feel
                          comfortable with, bring them along. Whether you will want to use them
                          or not is dependent on what mother nature does to us between now and
                          then as far as snow fall, wind, melting and freezing and who knows what
                          else. I wouldn't wait until run day to see if they are going to work
                          though.
                        • Mitchell A Rossman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 9 5:27 AM
                            John:

                            I have both 12 point and 4 point crampons. The 12 point crampons are
                            designed to be worn with either plastic or extremely thick-soled leather
                            mountaineering boots. With such a rigid sole, they work like a champ.
                            However, I would never ever think of wearing them with flexible trail shoes.
                            Four-point crampons are more suitable for trail shoes.

                            Mitch Rossman
                            Mendota Heights, MN

                            >I have found the discussion about trail shoe crampons to be very
                            >interesting. I have never worn crampons during the Hardrock, but have
                            >used them on other runs. The crampons I used were the old style 12
                            >point with leather straps to hold them on. They were hinged in the
                            >middle and by taking them apart at the hinge, I had a nice four point
                            >heel crampon that stayed on my shoe well. One problem was if there was
                            >any wet snow on the course it balled up in the crampon and pretty soon
                            >I was on high heels that were very slick. Great fun for glissading, but
                            >spooky on the steep stuff where you really wanted to stay attached.
                            >
                            >The last three years, the snow level on the course has been down.
                            >Before that, we had one year running in the counter clockwise direction
                            >where there was so much snow and ice from below the Virginius Mine to
                            >Virginius Pass that the course was routed off the road and steps had to
                            >be cut for about a mile.
                            >
                            >My advice, if you have some crampons you can try and will feel
                            >comfortable with, bring them along. Whether you will want to use them
                            >or not is dependent on what mother nature does to us between now and
                            >then as far as snow fall, wind, melting and freezing and who knows what
                            >else. I wouldn't wait until run day to see if they are going to work
                            >though.

                            >Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
                            >supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!

                            >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hr100/?m=1

                          • Michael A. Farris
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 10 11:35 AM
                              Hi,
                              I'll throw my instep crampons (not my 10-12 point full length
                              crampons) into the bag. Fit your instep crampons carefully; the
                              straps may need to be modified to fit on a running shoe. To help stop
                              snow balling up under the crampon, take a Clorox bottle and cut out
                              the sides (so you have a flat piece of plastic). Stab the crampons
                              through and trim off the excess. Now figure out a way to securely
                              attach this to the crampon (duct tape?) and you have an anti-balling
                              plate.

                              If the snow is at all hard, rocks and tent stakes won't do much good
                              for self-arrest. There are only a couple of spots where the runout is
                              poor, though.

                              Mike
                              Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                              Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris