Sunlight 50K

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2004
      I am thinking of putting on an unofficial no fee, no aid 50K run to 3 of
      Colorado's most remote 14ers, Eolus, Sunlight, and Windom. The date will be
      about a week before Hardrock, but the exact start date and time will be by
      mutual agreement once we have weather forecasts. The start/finish will be
      at the Purgatory campground 20 miles south of Silverton on US550.

      Officially this is not a race, which would be illegal in wilderness areas.
      It will instead be a group attempt on the speed record, currently 22:03. I
      think that with excellent fitness and preparation it could be done in 12-14
      hours, although my goal will be about 18 hours. I put together a route
      description and trip report at http://www.mattmahoney.net/sunlight/ The
      true distance is probably closer to 36 miles with 10,000 ft. of climb, but
      since I didn't measure it, I'm calling it 50K just to be safe.

      Some of the climbing will be hard. If you have any fear of heights, this
      run is not for you. If you're interested, let me know, and I will put
      together a mailing list.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2004
        For anyone who didn't see my post a few months ago, I am putting together a
        tough 50K run a couple weeks before Hardrock. We will start at the FS
        campground at Purgatory 20 mi. south of Silverton CO on US550, climb Eolus,
        Sunlight, and Windom, and return. The exact date and time is TBD and will
        probably depend on weather forecasts. The route description is here.
        http://www.mattmahoney.net/sunlight/

        This is a run, not a race. It goes through wilderness areas where races
        are not allowed. However, attempts on a speed record are OK and a few have
        been reported. If you tell me your time, I will include it in a trip
        report.

        If you are interested, email me and I will add you to the list. Let me know
        your preferred range of dates. So far I have 11 people although not
        everyone will be running it. I will be in Colorado from June 22 to July 13.