[hr100] weight training

  • Greg Loomis
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2000
      Hello Hardrockers,

      I am curious to the training skeems of you all. How many people do
      or recommend weight training such as Squats/leg press. Matt I know you
      are a big wieght trainer and lower mileage runner. Anyone do 70-100 per
      week and lift? I have never lifted with my legs but think it may be
      worth it to prepare for this "hiker" type of course. Thoughts or
      opinions????

      Thanks,
      Greg Loomis
    • Blake P. Wood
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2000
        Greg - I'm running about 70 mpw now, and lift twice weekly, but
        most of that is upper body. I find that my knees won't take
        most of the quad-working machines/lifts, so I don't do them. I
        do a couple hamstring and butt-muscle lifts tho'. Mostly, I
        rely on running hills to strengthen my quads.

        - Blake

        Blake P. Wood
        Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
        Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
        (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
        http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

      • danar@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2000
          Greg Loomis asks:

          Anyone do 70-100 per week and lift? I have never lifted with my legs but
          think it may be worth it to prepare for this "hiker" type of course.
          Thoughts or opinions????

          -----------------

          I average a little over 100 miles/week and lift 4 nights week as well. My
          lifting is heavy with low reps doing chest, arms, shoulders and back on
          seperate nights. After lifting I alternate each night with lunges or the
          stairmaster. For lunges I use forward motion going for a little over a 1/2
          mile on a track around the gym, (really difficult). I can't think of a
          better all around strength exercise for your legs. On the other nights I
          use the stairmaster for 30 to 45 minutes ramping up to whatever intensity
          level I can stand for as long as I can stand it. Where the lunges don't
          work the calves, the stairmaster makes up for it. Between the two, that is
          all the leg strength work I need for climbing.

          The upper body work is for the 3 cliffs that are all over 1,000 feet each
          that you need to rock climb.

          Dana

          Dana Roueche
          Boulder, CO
          mailto:danar@...
          tieline: 419-7020, 6-7020
          Outside line: 303-354-7020
        • Lance Goss
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2000
            Greg,

            I'm currently only doing 50-60 mpw, but will be up over 100 by HRH time. I
            do 2 weight workouts per week, both upper and lower body combined, in
            addition to a shorter run that day. I try to do relatively lower weights
            but higher reps (20) on the leg exercises. Quad extensions, toe raises, and
            recline leg press are the exercises I do. It's pretty hilly where I live,
            so I get additional strength work in my daily running. Since HRH is a
            strength race rather than a speed race, at least for us mortals, I think it
            helps.

            Lance Goss

            I am curious to the training skeems of you all. How many people do
            or recommend weight training such as Squats/leg press. Matt I know you
            are a big wieght trainer and lower mileage runner. Anyone do 70-100 per
            week and lift? I have never lifted with my legs but think it may be
            worth it to prepare for this "hiker" type of course. Thoughts or
            opinions????

            Thanks,
            Greg Loomis

            Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
            supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/1/_/382674/_/952444642/

            -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=hr100&m=1
          • Bill Ramsey
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2000
              Greg:

              I think a little lifting can go along way but have purposely stayed away from it since
              straining my achilles/calfs back in 1996 preparing for Pueblo Nuevo 100. Of course I
              was probably lifting too much and doing my squats too deep. My strategy in preparing
              for 100s is to find terrain similar to what I'll be racing on and that has made a huge
              difference in my success. That means that I'll be spending weekends this Spring and
              Summer on steep mountain trails that can only be hiked up with grades comparable to
              Hardrock. In using this approach, I've managed to go under 24 hours at Angeles Crest,
              Western States (98-snow year), and Old Dominion and have run 18:34 at Rocky despite
              being only slightly above average in talent. Of course what I lack in talent, I
              compensate for with persistence. My preparation for Rocky, because of its gently
              rolling terrain, consisted of several road marathons including one on each of the 2
              weekends preceding the race, run at 3:50-3:55 pace. I firmly believe that
              terrain-specific training is a sure-fire approach. Best of luck in your training and
              I'll see you at Hardrock.

              Regards,
              Bill Ramsey
              Aliso Viejo, CA

            • GRoachHigh@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 16, 2000
                Greg,

                I am hoping the same approach can work for me at Hardrock. I do a lot of
                mountaineering year 'round in Colorado. This incluses a lot of steep, deep
                snowshoing up through the forest to treeline and the summit beyond in winter.
                I average 8-10 peak ascents with snowshoes in the winter months in
                Colorado.For additional training, I use the steep and rocky trails above
                Boulder. I try to power-walk up them as fast as possible.

                There are times that I feel concerned that I am not getting in enough true
                trail running and opt to do peak climbs with my husband, friends, or solo.
                Just for the love of it, I guess.

                As a friend of mine recently said of this dilema:
                "Time on your feet is training."

                Jennifer Roach
                Boulder, CO.
              • Roger Wiegand
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 17, 2000
                  Hi Hardrockers,

                  Jennifer said it well: Time on your feet is training. That's
                  one of the many nice things about this run: To train for
                  it all you have to do is go out in the mountains and do what
                  comes naturally. Living in Nebraska, I do less
                  pleasant "maintenance" -- StairMaster, treadmill -- during the winter,
                  with maybe 15 miles a week of running on soft surfaces.
                  Starting in early May, I'll be in Colorado, doing probably
                  20,000' per week.

                  Roger

                  Roger A. Wiegand
                  http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand
                • Duncan Orr
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 17, 2000
                    Greg,
                    As a middle to back of the pack runner, I fully agree that terrain specific
                    training runs are the key. I finish most of the 100's I enter but my life
                    is too full of work, family etc to find time for long runs and gym
                    sessions. This winter I ran the PNT50 in Phoenix and trained with that in
                    mind, running long climbs as much as I could in the winter. Then came Rocky
                    Raccoon and I feel that because I didn't train for the flat course I am
                    paying a price in very sore knees, hamstrings etc. Having not run Hardrock
                    before I feel pretty intimidated by it so I think my time is best spent
                    going up and up and up as much as possible and not be too concerned with
                    going to a gym. Just one guy's opinion...
                    Best wishes to all,
                    Duncan Orr
                    Miway, UT

                    Uinta Currency