Training climbs

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2003
      Hans Dieter Weisshaar finished the Vermont 100 (his 10th 100 miler after
      Hardrock last week) in 21:34 (1st 60+) and is back in Leadville. We are
      planning to climb Little Bear on Tuesday. If you'd like to join us, we
      will camp at the bottom of Lake Como road on Monday evening.

      Also, a few of us will be climbing in the Crestones on the weekend of Aug
      2. As you probably heard, the Crestone marathon/100 on July 26 was
      cancelled. If you'd like to see the letter I got from the Forest Service,
      go to http://mattmahoney.net/crestone/
      Anyway we are planning on climbing Kit Carson, Humboldt, and the Crestones,
      but it will not be a race.

      I am in Golden staying with friends through this weekend, then will be
      staying at the Leadville Hostel Aug. 1-18 for Nolan's 14 and Leadville.
      Hans will be running both also.

      After I paced Hans at Hardrock (but only for 58 miles), I climbed 10
      fourteeners. On Monday after Hardrock I climbed Eolus, Sunlight, and
      Windom as a 22 hour day hike from Purgatory starting at 5 AM. The hike is
      36 miles and 10,000 ft. of climb and is normally done as a 3-4 day backpack
      by train. I reached Eolus about noon, Sunlight at 5 PM, and Windom at 6:30
      in dry weather. I would have been a couple hours faster but I met some
      rock climbers on Sunlight who offered me a harness and belay up a 5.6?
      chimney and after waiting 90 minutes we discovered we were on the wrong
      ridge, then scrambled around class 3/4 rock to the other side to the summit
      block.

      On Wed. I attempted Redcloud and Sunshine from Animas Forks (31 mi) but was
      stormed off 1 mile from Redcloud and thumbed a ride back over Cinnamon
      Pass. On Thurs. I drove to Lake City (160 mi) and climbed them, but hit a
      rock driving back and punctured the transmission oil pan and had the rental
      car towed to Lake City where it waited for a week for new parts. Meanwhile
      I rented a jeep, ran the Kendall Mt. 1/2 marathon in Silverton on Sat.,
      climbed the 3 Wilsons on Sun (12 hours), Snowmass on Mon (8 hours), and
      Castle on Tues (3 hours from the end of the jeep road at 12,800 ft where I
      camped). Castle was my 48th 14er and the first time I used an ice axe. I
      needed to get these done before I traded the jeep back for my rental car
      yesterday because they require 4WD access.

      =====