Mountain Lion Sighting

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17 4:28 PM
      In case Todd doesn't post this to the HRH list, here it is.

      Randy Isler and I spotted the same large black bear near the Liberty
      Bell bunk houses coming into Telluride early on Saturday. That was a
      sight to behold, too. I've yet to see a mountain lion in the
      Silverton area but, I'm looking forward to it.

      Charlie
      --------------------------------
      Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:40:17 -0600
      From: Todd Salzer <salsat@...>
      Subject: Re: Seeing Animals

      David,
      My wife and mother-in-law saw their first mountain lion last week at
      Hardrock. They were driving from Ouray to Telluride and after
      crossing Dallas Divide there were two animals on the road. They
      slowed, thinking they were deer and looking out for more. As they
      got closer, it was a mother mountain lion and a baby. They quickly
      slinked off the road. Quite a sight I am sure. (Granted it was 5
      AM--maybe they were hallucinating??!!)

      Todd

      I have
      not seen a mountain lion, that is one animal I would love to see?

      Searching
      David Horton
    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18 6:45 AM
        As I had mentioned after Hardrock in 2001, I did see a mountain lion coming
        down the road near Arrastra just before the camping area we run through. I
        had my doubts until I talked with Ginny's daughter and Joe Prusaitus, who
        were just in front and behind me and also saw it. I still had my doubts
        until this year when riding back to Silverton in a truck by a local guy who
        was picking up the Grouse drop bags after I dropped. He owns a local
        outfitting company and when I described what I saw (the yellowish, green
        eyes looking back at me) he said that it was most certainly a cat. He has
        seen many out there and said you cannot mistake those colored eyes for
        anything else. It would have scared me at the time, but I was too tired to
        care...

        see you all next year,
        Steve P.