Food intake and calorie consumption.

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2003
      Just for grins, I wonder if you folks would be able to put together a list of
      what you ate/drank during the run, with estimated calories, even if you ended throwing it up.
      I will try to compile results in a readable format for comparison.

      I realized, after the race, that I actually took in very little, compared to the effort required to traverse the course and the time spent out there., and wondered how I compared to others.
      I'll start the list.

      Two cans of Ensure (220 calories each)
      A cup of coke at most aid stations, and one 12 ounce Dr. Pepper - so maybe 600 calories total
      a half of a turkey roll-up, no cheese or mayo. 80 cal?
      2 gels, 100 cal. ea.
      1/2 Slimfast bar, 100 cal.
      a cup of soup whereve they had it - at least from Grouse forward. 500 calories?
      2 fruit cups, 100 cal. each.
      some mashed potatoes at Chapman, 100 cal.
      about six potato chips at Chapman, 60 cal.
      one scoop of Sustained energy in a bottle - 50 cal?
      two pieces of watermelon at Pole Creek (yum, that still is a great memory)
      Approximate total intake: 2,350 calories. Not much for 47 hours of mountain effort.

      Funny thing, though, my stomach was sour all the first day, the second half of the race I ate basically only soup and a cup of coke at each aid station, and felt much better.
      How does this compare with the rest of you all???

      Also, lost most of my vision in one eye, some in the other the last several hours of the race. Dehydration? Anybody know? The eye was very sore and throbbing next day, but vision has returned, and both eyes are sensitive and irritated. .

      thanks for the input,
      deb

      Adversity introduces you to yourself.