Pacers??

  • Lillie, Annette M.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
      Any opinions out there on how necessary it is to have a pacer? We, there
      are two of us running, just had 2 of our 3 pacers bail out at the last
      minute. We've both run races without pacers before, but it's been Wasatch,
      Leadville, Pacific Crest (All very well marked courses).

      Any thoughts out there from those of you who have run before?

      Thanks!
      Annette
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
        If you don't have a pacer, hike and study the section from Chapman Gulch to
        Silverton very carefully. I found out the hard way that it looks totally
        different in the dark. Also, after 2 nights without sleep (and even before
        the second sunset) your brain doesn't work right, and it's very easy to get
        lost and very hard to see the flags. Don't rely on them. Pay attention
        especially above treeline.

        This experience is from a 51:38 DNF in 1998 after wandering alone in
        circles for 3 hours under a full moon near the top of Pole-Putnam divide.

        I will be pacing Hans Dieter Weisshaar so sorry I can't help (unless you
        stay at our pace, I guess about 46 hours).

        =====