Re: [hr100] Eolus, Sunlight, Windom

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
      --- Joe Prusaitis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
      > Hi Matt,
      > Wow, Heck of a story! Who wrote that?
      > /joe

      Andrew Hamilton when he broke the 14er speed record, which was 14 days at
      the time. Most of the other speed records were set using the trains,
      though. They packed in, started the clock at Chicago basin and timed their
      climb to take the train out.

      I figure 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb from Purgatory is about 1/3 of
      Hardrock, so it should take about 1/3 the time, plus a couple extra hours
      for the class 3 sections, unless I'm missing something?

      Steve Bremner has a nice trip report and photos at
      http://cloud.prohosting.com/mtnclmbr/eolus_windom_sunlight.htm

      There are some good photos of the more difficult sections including the
      catwalk on Eolus and the infamous summmit block on Sunlight at
      http://ourworld-top.cs.com/Schulbr354/windomsunlighteolus.htm

      > Matt Mahoney wrote:
      >
      > >--- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >>Matt,
      > >>Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
      > before
      > >>HR
      > >>in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
      > >>somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
      > >>

      > >I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
      > >Here is an interesting one:
      > http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

      =====
      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
    • Keith Knipling
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
        Hey all,

        Looking forward to seeing many of you in the mountains this summer. My
        dad and I fly into Durango at 5:00 PM Friday June 28. Was wondering
        what the best means of getting Silverton at that time would be. I know
        the train is out. Are there other shuttles, or could we carpool with
        other runners arriving, or would someone be willing to pick us up?
        Looking forward to seeing some mountains for a change. The skyline of
        Chicago on the lake is pretty, but somehow not quite the same.

        -Keith

        Keith Knipling
        Graduate Research Assistant
        Northwestern University
        2220 North Campus Drive
        Evanston, IL 60208
        Office: (847) 491-5933
        Cell: (847) 707-4065
        E-mail: <mailto:k-knipling@...>
        k-knipling@...
        Web: <http://www.keith-knipling.com/> www.keith-knipling.com
      • Marc Witkes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
          Keith,

          Are you coming in town for Hard Rock? You can stay overnight at my place and
          take th Greyhound Bus to Silverton first thing in the morning.

          Marc

          Believe 1918

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
            Sorry, that is SATURDAY June 28.