Re: [hr100] 14er posting website

  • Andrea Feucht
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
      Matt,
      Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before HR
      in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
      somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

      :-)

      Andrea

      --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
      > Mat,
      > Take the train.
      > Joe

      I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think there
      is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton (1
      hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves you
      about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in having
      to carry camping gear.

      =====

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
        --- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
        > Matt,
        > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before
        > HR
        > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
        > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

        I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
        Here is an interesting one: http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

        =====
        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
      • Gordon Hardman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
          Matt,

          I agree- either way it is 3 days. You can park at Molas lake, and there
          is a nice trail down to the Animas, and follow the tracks to Needleton.
          Camp there or up the trail a bit. Do the peaks. Camp a second night and
          hike out. Or, take the train, camp a night, do the peaks, camp and come
          out on the train. There are even some loops/peaks back in the Weminuche,
          you could go in on the first day, hike to Chicago basin & camp, do the
          peaks, go over Columbine Pass & around to come out near Silverton......
          Think Vestal Peak and Wham Ridge...

          Andrea Feucht wrote:

          > Matt,
          > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
          > before HR
          > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
          > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
          >
          > :-)
          >
          > Andrea
          >
          > --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
          > > Mat,
          > > Take the train.
          > > Joe
          >
          > I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think
          > there
          > is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton
          > (1
          > hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves
          > you
          > about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in
          > having
          > to carry camping gear.
          >
          > > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to
          > climb
          > > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to
          > Eolus,
          > > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000
          > ft.
          > > climb
          > > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the
          > train.
          > > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by
          > 7 and
          > > be
          > > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr
          > rate
          > > of
          > > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
          > > before.
          > > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or
          > so.
          > > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.
          >

          > =====
          > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [Click Here!]

          Gordon Hardman

          V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
          geh@...
          CrossLink Inc. phone:
          303.473.9232 x101
          6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
          303.473.9660
          Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

          we shall go
          Always a little further: it may be
          Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
          Across that angry or that glimmering sea

          James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

          "The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that
          you'll grow out of it."
          Doris Day

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
            --- Joe Prusaitis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
            > Hi Matt,
            > Wow, Heck of a story! Who wrote that?
            > /joe

            Andrew Hamilton when he broke the 14er speed record, which was 14 days at
            the time. Most of the other speed records were set using the trains,
            though. They packed in, started the clock at Chicago basin and timed their
            climb to take the train out.

            I figure 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb from Purgatory is about 1/3 of
            Hardrock, so it should take about 1/3 the time, plus a couple extra hours
            for the class 3 sections, unless I'm missing something?

            Steve Bremner has a nice trip report and photos at
            http://cloud.prohosting.com/mtnclmbr/eolus_windom_sunlight.htm

            There are some good photos of the more difficult sections including the
            catwalk on Eolus and the infamous summmit block on Sunlight at
            http://ourworld-top.cs.com/Schulbr354/windomsunlighteolus.htm

            > Matt Mahoney wrote:
            >
            > >--- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >>Matt,
            > >>Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
            > before
            > >>HR
            > >>in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
            > >>somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
            > >>

            > >I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
            > >Here is an interesting one:
            > http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

            =====
            -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
          • Keith Knipling
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
              Hey all,

              Looking forward to seeing many of you in the mountains this summer. My
              dad and I fly into Durango at 5:00 PM Friday June 28. Was wondering
              what the best means of getting Silverton at that time would be. I know
              the train is out. Are there other shuttles, or could we carpool with
              other runners arriving, or would someone be willing to pick us up?
              Looking forward to seeing some mountains for a change. The skyline of
              Chicago on the lake is pretty, but somehow not quite the same.

              -Keith

              Keith Knipling
              Graduate Research Assistant
              Northwestern University
              2220 North Campus Drive
              Evanston, IL 60208
              Office: (847) 491-5933
              Cell: (847) 707-4065
              E-mail: <mailto:k-knipling@...>
              k-knipling@...
              Web: <http://www.keith-knipling.com/> www.keith-knipling.com
            • Marc Witkes
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                Keith,

                Are you coming in town for Hard Rock? You can stay overnight at my place and
                take th Greyhound Bus to Silverton first thing in the morning.

                Marc

                Believe 1918

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                  Sorry, that is SATURDAY June 28.