Re: [hr100] 14er posting website

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
      --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
      > Mat,
      > Take the train.
      > Joe

      I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think there
      is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton (1
      hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves you
      about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in having
      to carry camping gear.

      > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to climb
      > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to Eolus,
      > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000 ft.
      > climb
      > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the train.
      > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by 7 and
      > be
      > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr rate
      > of
      > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
      > before.
      > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or so.
      > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.

      =====
      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
    • Andrea Feucht
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
        Matt,
        Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before HR
        in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
        somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

        :-)

        Andrea

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
          --- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
          > Matt,
          > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before
          > HR
          > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
          > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

          I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
          Here is an interesting one: http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

          =====
          -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
        • Gordon Hardman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
            Matt,

            I agree- either way it is 3 days. You can park at Molas lake, and there
            is a nice trail down to the Animas, and follow the tracks to Needleton.
            Camp there or up the trail a bit. Do the peaks. Camp a second night and
            hike out. Or, take the train, camp a night, do the peaks, camp and come
            out on the train. There are even some loops/peaks back in the Weminuche,
            you could go in on the first day, hike to Chicago basin & camp, do the
            peaks, go over Columbine Pass & around to come out near Silverton......
            Think Vestal Peak and Wham Ridge...

            Andrea Feucht wrote:

            > Matt,
            > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
            > before HR
            > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
            > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
            >
            > :-)
            >
            > Andrea
            >
            > --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
            > > Mat,
            > > Take the train.
            > > Joe
            >
            > I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think
            > there
            > is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton
            > (1
            > hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves
            > you
            > about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in
            > having
            > to carry camping gear.
            >
            > > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to
            > climb
            > > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to
            > Eolus,
            > > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000
            > ft.
            > > climb
            > > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the
            > train.
            > > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by
            > 7 and
            > > be
            > > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr
            > rate
            > > of
            > > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
            > > before.
            > > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or
            > so.
            > > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.
            >

            > =====
            > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [Click Here!]

            Gordon Hardman

            V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
            geh@...
            CrossLink Inc. phone:
            303.473.9232 x101
            6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
            303.473.9660
            Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

            we shall go
            Always a little further: it may be
            Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
            Across that angry or that glimmering sea

            James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

            "The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that
            you'll grow out of it."
            Doris Day

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
              --- Joe Prusaitis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
              > Hi Matt,
              > Wow, Heck of a story! Who wrote that?
              > /joe

              Andrew Hamilton when he broke the 14er speed record, which was 14 days at
              the time. Most of the other speed records were set using the trains,
              though. They packed in, started the clock at Chicago basin and timed their
              climb to take the train out.

              I figure 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb from Purgatory is about 1/3 of
              Hardrock, so it should take about 1/3 the time, plus a couple extra hours
              for the class 3 sections, unless I'm missing something?

              Steve Bremner has a nice trip report and photos at
              http://cloud.prohosting.com/mtnclmbr/eolus_windom_sunlight.htm

              There are some good photos of the more difficult sections including the
              catwalk on Eolus and the infamous summmit block on Sunlight at
              http://ourworld-top.cs.com/Schulbr354/windomsunlighteolus.htm

              > Matt Mahoney wrote:
              >
              > >--- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >>Matt,
              > >>Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
              > before
              > >>HR
              > >>in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
              > >>somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
              > >>

              > >I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
              > >Here is an interesting one:
              > http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

              =====
              -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
            • Keith Knipling
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                Hey all,

                Looking forward to seeing many of you in the mountains this summer. My
                dad and I fly into Durango at 5:00 PM Friday June 28. Was wondering
                what the best means of getting Silverton at that time would be. I know
                the train is out. Are there other shuttles, or could we carpool with
                other runners arriving, or would someone be willing to pick us up?
                Looking forward to seeing some mountains for a change. The skyline of
                Chicago on the lake is pretty, but somehow not quite the same.

                -Keith

                Keith Knipling
                Graduate Research Assistant
                Northwestern University
                2220 North Campus Drive
                Evanston, IL 60208
                Office: (847) 491-5933
                Cell: (847) 707-4065
                E-mail: <mailto:k-knipling@...>
                k-knipling@...
                Web: <http://www.keith-knipling.com/> www.keith-knipling.com
              • Marc Witkes
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                  Keith,

                  Are you coming in town for Hard Rock? You can stay overnight at my place and
                  take th Greyhound Bus to Silverton first thing in the morning.

                  Marc

                  Believe 1918

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                    Sorry, that is SATURDAY June 28.