Re: [hr100] 14er posting website

  • Joseph Clapper
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
      Mat,
      Take the train.
      Joe

      "Matt Mahoney" <matmahoney@...>
      06/16/2003 01:32 PM
      Please respond to hr100

      To: <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>, <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
      cc:
      Subject: [hr100] 14er posting website

      I made up a web page where you can post a list of 14ers you've climbed,
      and
      a link back to a web page with photos/trip reports if you have one. See
      http://www.he.net/~mmahoney/14er/
      I just put it up Saturday and announced it on SummitPost and the
      ColoradoClimbers mailing list, and so far 21 people have joined.

      I hope to add a few 14ers to my list this summer. My plans are to fly to
      Colorado around July 7 or 8, pace Hans Dieter Weisshaar at Hardrock, then
      run the Crestone marathon, Nolan's 14 and Leadville. Hans is over 60 so
      he
      can have a pacer for the whole 100. I'm concerned about lack of
      acclimation
      but I will try my best.

      Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to climb
      few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to Eolus,
      Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000 ft.
      climb
      from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the train. I
      figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by 7 and
      be
      off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr rate
      of
      climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area before.
      The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or so.
      Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
        --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
        > Mat,
        > Take the train.
        > Joe

        I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think there
        is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton (1
        hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves you
        about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in having
        to carry camping gear.

        > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to climb
        > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to Eolus,
        > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000 ft.
        > climb
        > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the train.
        > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by 7 and
        > be
        > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr rate
        > of
        > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
        > before.
        > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or so.
        > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.

        =====
        -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
      • Andrea Feucht
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
          Matt,
          Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before HR
          in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
          somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

          :-)

          Andrea

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
            --- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
            > Matt,
            > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before
            > HR
            > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
            > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

            I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
            Here is an interesting one: http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

            =====
            -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
          • Gordon Hardman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
              Matt,

              I agree- either way it is 3 days. You can park at Molas lake, and there
              is a nice trail down to the Animas, and follow the tracks to Needleton.
              Camp there or up the trail a bit. Do the peaks. Camp a second night and
              hike out. Or, take the train, camp a night, do the peaks, camp and come
              out on the train. There are even some loops/peaks back in the Weminuche,
              you could go in on the first day, hike to Chicago basin & camp, do the
              peaks, go over Columbine Pass & around to come out near Silverton......
              Think Vestal Peak and Wham Ridge...

              Andrea Feucht wrote:

              > Matt,
              > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
              > before HR
              > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
              > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
              >
              > :-)
              >
              > Andrea
              >
              > --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
              > > Mat,
              > > Take the train.
              > > Joe
              >
              > I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think
              > there
              > is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton
              > (1
              > hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves
              > you
              > about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in
              > having
              > to carry camping gear.
              >
              > > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to
              > climb
              > > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to
              > Eolus,
              > > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000
              > ft.
              > > climb
              > > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the
              > train.
              > > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by
              > 7 and
              > > be
              > > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr
              > rate
              > > of
              > > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
              > > before.
              > > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or
              > so.
              > > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.
              >

              > =====
              > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              [Click Here!]

              Gordon Hardman

              V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
              geh@...
              CrossLink Inc. phone:
              303.473.9232 x101
              6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
              303.473.9660
              Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

              we shall go
              Always a little further: it may be
              Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
              Across that angry or that glimmering sea

              James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

              "The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that
              you'll grow out of it."
              Doris Day

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                --- Joe Prusaitis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
                > Hi Matt,
                > Wow, Heck of a story! Who wrote that?
                > /joe

                Andrew Hamilton when he broke the 14er speed record, which was 14 days at
                the time. Most of the other speed records were set using the trains,
                though. They packed in, started the clock at Chicago basin and timed their
                climb to take the train out.

                I figure 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb from Purgatory is about 1/3 of
                Hardrock, so it should take about 1/3 the time, plus a couple extra hours
                for the class 3 sections, unless I'm missing something?

                Steve Bremner has a nice trip report and photos at
                http://cloud.prohosting.com/mtnclmbr/eolus_windom_sunlight.htm

                There are some good photos of the more difficult sections including the
                catwalk on Eolus and the infamous summmit block on Sunlight at
                http://ourworld-top.cs.com/Schulbr354/windomsunlighteolus.htm

                > Matt Mahoney wrote:
                >
                > >--- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
                > >
                > >>Matt,
                > >>Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
                > before
                > >>HR
                > >>in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
                > >>somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
                > >>

                > >I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
                > >Here is an interesting one:
                > http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

                =====
                -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
              • Keith Knipling
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                  Hey all,

                  Looking forward to seeing many of you in the mountains this summer. My
                  dad and I fly into Durango at 5:00 PM Friday June 28. Was wondering
                  what the best means of getting Silverton at that time would be. I know
                  the train is out. Are there other shuttles, or could we carpool with
                  other runners arriving, or would someone be willing to pick us up?
                  Looking forward to seeing some mountains for a change. The skyline of
                  Chicago on the lake is pretty, but somehow not quite the same.

                  -Keith

                  Keith Knipling
                  Graduate Research Assistant
                  Northwestern University
                  2220 North Campus Drive
                  Evanston, IL 60208
                  Office: (847) 491-5933
                  Cell: (847) 707-4065
                  E-mail: <mailto:k-knipling@...>
                  k-knipling@...
                  Web: <http://www.keith-knipling.com/> www.keith-knipling.com
                • Marc Witkes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                    Keith,

                    Are you coming in town for Hard Rock? You can stay overnight at my place and
                    take th Greyhound Bus to Silverton first thing in the morning.

                    Marc

                    Believe 1918

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                      Sorry, that is SATURDAY June 28.