14er posting website

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
      I made up a web page where you can post a list of 14ers you've climbed, and
      a link back to a web page with photos/trip reports if you have one. See
      http://www.he.net/~mmahoney/14er/
      I just put it up Saturday and announced it on SummitPost and the
      ColoradoClimbers mailing list, and so far 21 people have joined.

      I hope to add a few 14ers to my list this summer. My plans are to fly to
      Colorado around July 7 or 8, pace Hans Dieter Weisshaar at Hardrock, then
      run the Crestone marathon, Nolan's 14 and Leadville. Hans is over 60 so he
      can have a pacer for the whole 100. I'm concerned about lack of acclimation
      but I will try my best.

      Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to climb a
      few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to Eolus,
      Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb
      from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the train. I
      figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by 7 and be
      off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr rate of
      climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area before.
      The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or so.
      Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.

      -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
    • Joseph Clapper
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
        Mat,
        Take the train.
        Joe

        "Matt Mahoney" <matmahoney@...>
        06/16/2003 01:32 PM
        Please respond to hr100

        To: <nolans14@yahoogroups.com>, <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
        cc:
        Subject: [hr100] 14er posting website

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
          --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
          > Mat,
          > Take the train.
          > Joe

          I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think there
          is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton (1
          hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves you
          about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in having
          to carry camping gear.

          > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to climb
          > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to Eolus,
          > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000 ft.
          > climb
          > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the train.
          > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by 7 and
          > be
          > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr rate
          > of
          > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
          > before.
          > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or so.
          > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.

          =====
          -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
        • Andrea Feucht
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
            Matt,
            Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before HR
            in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
            somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

            :-)

            Andrea

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
              --- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
              > Matt,
              > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run before
              > HR
              > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
              > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....

              I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
              Here is an interesting one: http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

              =====
              -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
            • Gordon Hardman
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 16, 2003
                Matt,

                I agree- either way it is 3 days. You can park at Molas lake, and there
                is a nice trail down to the Animas, and follow the tracks to Needleton.
                Camp there or up the trail a bit. Do the peaks. Camp a second night and
                hike out. Or, take the train, camp a night, do the peaks, camp and come
                out on the train. There are even some loops/peaks back in the Weminuche,
                you could go in on the first day, hike to Chicago basin & camp, do the
                peaks, go over Columbine Pass & around to come out near Silverton......
                Think Vestal Peak and Wham Ridge...

                Andrea Feucht wrote:

                > Matt,
                > Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
                > before HR
                > in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
                > somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
                >
                > :-)
                >
                > Andrea
                >
                > --- Joseph Clapper <clapper@...> wrote:
                > > Mat,
                > > Take the train.
                > > Joe
                >
                > I looked at the schedule at http://www.durangorailway.com/ and think
                > there
                > is only about 6 hours between the first and last train into Needleton
                > (1
                > hour from Silverton), not enough time for a day hike. The train saves
                > you
                > about 15 miles round trip on runnable trails, but you lose that in
                > having
                > to carry camping gear.
                >
                > > Most of the 14ers not on my list are in the San Juans, so I want to
                > climb
                > > few after Hardrock. Would anyone be interested in a day hike to
                > Eolus,
                > > Sunlight and Windom? According to Roach it is 36 miles and 10,000
                > ft.
                > > climb
                > > from Purgatory, which is the closest approach without taking the
                > train.
                > > figure with a 2 AM start we could reach Chicago basin (16 miles) by
                > 7 and
                > > be
                > > off the summits before afternoon T-storms. I am assuming 2000 ft/hr
                > rate
                > > of
                > > climb and running the downhills, but I have not hiked in this area
                > > before.
                > > The best time for me is the week after Hardrock around July 16-21 or
                > so.
                > > Hans was going to go but he is running Vermont for the Grand Slam.
                >

                > =====
                > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                [Click Here!]

                Gordon Hardman

                V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
                geh@...
                CrossLink Inc. phone:
                303.473.9232 x101
                6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
                303.473.9660
                Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

                we shall go
                Always a little further: it may be
                Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
                Across that angry or that glimmering sea

                James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"

                "The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that
                you'll grow out of it."
                Doris Day

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                  --- Joe Prusaitis <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Matt,
                  > Wow, Heck of a story! Who wrote that?
                  > /joe

                  Andrew Hamilton when he broke the 14er speed record, which was 14 days at
                  the time. Most of the other speed records were set using the trains,
                  though. They packed in, started the clock at Chicago basin and timed their
                  climb to take the train out.

                  I figure 36 miles and 10,000 ft. climb from Purgatory is about 1/3 of
                  Hardrock, so it should take about 1/3 the time, plus a couple extra hours
                  for the class 3 sections, unless I'm missing something?

                  Steve Bremner has a nice trip report and photos at
                  http://cloud.prohosting.com/mtnclmbr/eolus_windom_sunlight.htm

                  There are some good photos of the more difficult sections including the
                  catwalk on Eolus and the infamous summmit block on Sunlight at
                  http://ourworld-top.cs.com/Schulbr354/windomsunlighteolus.htm

                  > Matt Mahoney wrote:
                  >
                  > >--- Andrea Feucht <andrea_feucht@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >>Matt,
                  > >>Joe speaks from experience. I vaguely remember some half-day run
                  > before
                  > >>HR
                  > >>in 2000 around White Dome "organized" by Dr Dave that ended up being
                  > >>somewhere around 12-14 hours due to some train issues....
                  > >>

                  > >I was figuring on more like 20-22 hours. I've read a few trip reports.
                  > >Here is an interesting one:
                  > http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/day3.html

                  =====
                  -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...
                • Keith Knipling
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                    Hey all,

                    Looking forward to seeing many of you in the mountains this summer. My
                    dad and I fly into Durango at 5:00 PM Friday June 28. Was wondering
                    what the best means of getting Silverton at that time would be. I know
                    the train is out. Are there other shuttles, or could we carpool with
                    other runners arriving, or would someone be willing to pick us up?
                    Looking forward to seeing some mountains for a change. The skyline of
                    Chicago on the lake is pretty, but somehow not quite the same.

                    -Keith

                    Keith Knipling
                    Graduate Research Assistant
                    Northwestern University
                    2220 North Campus Drive
                    Evanston, IL 60208
                    Office: (847) 491-5933
                    Cell: (847) 707-4065
                    E-mail: <mailto:k-knipling@...>
                    k-knipling@...
                    Web: <http://www.keith-knipling.com/> www.keith-knipling.com
                  • Marc Witkes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                      Keith,

                      Are you coming in town for Hard Rock? You can stay overnight at my place and
                      take th Greyhound Bus to Silverton first thing in the morning.

                      Marc

                      Believe 1918

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 17, 2003
                        Sorry, that is SATURDAY June 28.