[hr100] Re: THE LAST MILES OR LOW IQ

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
      --- Hans-Dieter Weisshaar <HD.WEISSHAAR@...> >
      1. At which time begins the flashlight time on
      > Saturday evening or how
      > many hours after start on Friday 6 a.m. ?

      I was close to a 48 hour pace in '98. The dark parts
      are Handies Peak to Ouray and the top of Grant-Swamp
      pass to the finish (or in my case, where I got lost,
      to the Putnam aid station).

      > 2. How many miles of the tail (mile 99 - finish,
      > mile 98 - finish ...)
      > can be walked (marched or run) in darkness with an
      > IQ less than a
      > potato?

      I would say none of it. Toward the end I would even
      get lost on the roads.

      > 4. Anyway, are there any splittime-tables available
      > for moving in that
      > way (3.) ?

      The race packets include splits from 2 years ago
      (rather than last year) when the race was in the same
      diretion.

      > 5. Finally: If your time for exploring (walking) the
      > unknown trail is
      > restricted to three or four days, who can make
      > recommendations about the
      > "problem"-areas,

      I hope you live near some high mountains, or have an
      altitude tent or hypobaric chamber, otherwise I would
      recommend 2 weeks acclimation minimum, 4 weeks if you
      can.

      For learning the course, I recommend:
      1. Kamm Traverse to the finish (including the last
      mile from the road crossing to Silverton). Moderatly
      hard, second night.
      2. Grant-Swamp pass (or Chapman) to KT. Hard, dark
      if you're slow.
      3. Handies Peak to Grouse Gulch. Hard, lots of snow,
      may be dark.
      4. Lower Bear Creek to Ouray. Easy to moderate, but
      dark and confusing, easy to get lost.
      5. Governor's Basin to Virginius. Very hard, still
      dark if you're fast.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com