Gallo Peak update

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2003
      Hello Everyone,

      For those of you coming to the Gallo Peak Run in the Manzano Mountains of
      central New Mexico on May 24, David Coblentz asked me to provide updated
      directions for getting there. I hope many will be able to run.

      Charlie

      Getting to Gallo Peak Run-- "Turn left (east) the road marked 'forest access
      19miles' (about 6 miles south of Belen on NM47) - this is FR33. The road
      heads towards the Manzanos about 4 miles and then turns north for another 10
      miles or so to the intersection with the spur road to the JFK campground.
      This spur road is the only obvious right (east) road off FR33. I will try
      and mark this intersection with a sign Sat. morning. The JFK campground is
      about 4 miles east of this intersection, at the end of the road. The
      trailhead is at the mouth of the drainage coming off the mountains and is
      easy to find. FR33 is a smooth but washboarded road; it takes 1:30 to 1:45
      transit time from ABQ to the JFK campground at a reasonable speed - of
      course the faster you drive on washboard the less bumpy it is so some may
      get require less time ....