[hr100] Re: THE LAST MILES OR LOW IQ

  • Carl & Sally Yates
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2000
      Park at or near the Kamm Aid Sta. 1 day go back over Grant Swamp Pass and
      down the scree slope and return or all the way to Chapman and back. 2nd day
      go the other way to the river but not necessary to cross the river. Follow
      that side to the road and come back to town or 2nd day park at the first
      road after the river crossing on the Durango Hwy. You'll get wet all ways. A
      little more difficult to follow than Western States but you have plenty of
      room for errors, I don't. Carl Yates

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2000
        Hans-Dieter

        Blake Wood has recently put the 2000 course description and related
        table on the web site, www.run100s.com/HR/. Included in the cut off
        tables is a column of historical times at the major aid stations for
        those finishing close to 48 hours. People who get through the Putnam
        Basin aid station (95.8 mi) by 3:30 am on Sunday morning seem to be
        able to finish under 48 hours. This includes 3.8 miles of stumbing
        down a a very rocky trail in the Silverton Bear Creek to the roped
        wading of South Mineral Creek. Once across the river, there is a short
        uphill scramble to an abandoned railroad bed then follwing this dirt
        trail for another 1.2 mi. Both of these sections still require some
        brain function to negotiate. Finally at mi 100.8, remember the course
        is 101.7 mi, you hit a dirt road where you can function with almost no
        visible alterness..
        with the exception you turn off this road after about a half mi and do
        a short cross country and finish on the streets of Silverton.

        With regard to flashlights on Saturday night/Sunday morning, at a 47:30
        pace you will be using one from near Chapman Gulch, about mile 83 to
        within a mile of the finish. As Karl, Matt and Roger have said on the
        list, familiarity with with section from Chapman to the finish will add
        your chances of getting across it in a low IQ mode using a flashlight.

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
          --- Hans-Dieter Weisshaar <HD.WEISSHAAR@...> >
          1. At which time begins the flashlight time on
          > Saturday evening or how
          > many hours after start on Friday 6 a.m. ?

          I was close to a 48 hour pace in '98. The dark parts
          are Handies Peak to Ouray and the top of Grant-Swamp
          pass to the finish (or in my case, where I got lost,
          to the Putnam aid station).

          > 2. How many miles of the tail (mile 99 - finish,
          > mile 98 - finish ...)
          > can be walked (marched or run) in darkness with an
          > IQ less than a
          > potato?

          I would say none of it. Toward the end I would even
          get lost on the roads.

          > 4. Anyway, are there any splittime-tables available
          > for moving in that
          > way (3.) ?

          The race packets include splits from 2 years ago
          (rather than last year) when the race was in the same
          diretion.

          > 5. Finally: If your time for exploring (walking) the
          > unknown trail is
          > restricted to three or four days, who can make
          > recommendations about the
          > "problem"-areas,

          I hope you live near some high mountains, or have an
          altitude tent or hypobaric chamber, otherwise I would
          recommend 2 weeks acclimation minimum, 4 weeks if you
          can.

          For learning the course, I recommend:
          1. Kamm Traverse to the finish (including the last
          mile from the road crossing to Silverton). Moderatly
          hard, second night.
          2. Grant-Swamp pass (or Chapman) to KT. Hard, dark
          if you're slow.
          3. Handies Peak to Grouse Gulch. Hard, lots of snow,
          may be dark.
          4. Lower Bear Creek to Ouray. Easy to moderate, but
          dark and confusing, easy to get lost.
          5. Governor's Basin to Virginius. Very hard, still
          dark if you're fast.

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com