[hr100] THE LAST MILES OR LOW IQ

  • Hans-Dieter Weisshaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2000
      Carolyn has asked about the last miles and got answers about estimated
      IQ-levels during the "second night".
      As a 60 (+-) runner, who never has tried such a fun run, there are some
      more detailed questions to the veterans:

      1. At which time begins the flashlight time on Saturday evening or how
      many hours after start on Friday 6 a.m. ?

      2. How many miles of the tail (mile 99 - finish, mile 98 - finish ...)
      can be walked (marched or run) in darkness with an IQ less than a
      potato?

      3. If the answer is, that there is no major problem behind mile 97,5 (I
      have no idea), then it is better for people with lower IQ like me, to
      try to reach this point (i.e. 97,5) before flashlight time (seriously
      spoken, I personally hope for finishing in 47:30 no matter about the
      IQ).

      4. Anyway, are there any splittime-tables available for moving in that
      way (3.) ? I don't ask for a division like 97,5 miles divided by 39,5
      hours (potato IQs are able to perform this calculation with a correct
      result), but for a schedule, which takes in account the ups and downs,
      climbings, daylight or night and so on.

      5. Finally: If your time for exploring (walking) the unknown trail is
      restricted to three or four days, who can make recommendations about the
      "problem"-areas, which should be visited first by order of priority
      including the informations about how to get to that points by car? Is it
      the foreseen "second night" - course?

      Best regards

      Hans-Dieter W.
    • Carl & Sally Yates
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2000
        Park at or near the Kamm Aid Sta. 1 day go back over Grant Swamp Pass and
        down the scree slope and return or all the way to Chapman and back. 2nd day
        go the other way to the river but not necessary to cross the river. Follow
        that side to the road and come back to town or 2nd day park at the first
        road after the river crossing on the Durango Hwy. You'll get wet all ways. A
        little more difficult to follow than Western States but you have plenty of
        room for errors, I don't. Carl Yates

        >Carolyn has asked about the last miles and got answers about estimated
        >IQ-levels during the "second night".
        >As a 60 (+-) runner, who never has tried such a fun run, there are some
        >more detailed questions to the veterans:
        >
        >1. At which time begins the flashlight time on Saturday evening or how
        >many hours after start on Friday 6 a.m. ?
        >
        >2. How many miles of the tail (mile 99 - finish, mile 98 - finish ...)
        >can be walked (marched or run) in darkness with an IQ less than a
        >potato?
        >
        >3. If the answer is, that there is no major problem behind mile 97,5 (I
        >have no idea), then it is better for people with lower IQ like me, to
        >try to reach this point (i.e. 97,5) before flashlight time (seriously
        >spoken, I personally hope for finishing in 47:30 no matter about the
        >IQ).
        >
        >4. Anyway, are there any splittime-tables available for moving in that
        >way (3.) ? I don't ask for a division like 97,5 miles divided by 39,5
        >hours (potato IQs are able to perform this calculation with a correct
        >result), but for a schedule, which takes in account the ups and downs,
        >climbings, daylight or night and so on.
        >
        >5. Finally: If your time for exploring (walking) the unknown trail is
        >restricted to three or four days, who can make recommendations about the
        >"problem"-areas, which should be visited first by order of priority
        >including the informations about how to get to that points by car? Is it
        >the foreseen "second night" - course?
        >
        >Best regards
        >
        >Hans-Dieter W.

        >Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
        >supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1

      • John Cappis
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2000
          Hans-Dieter

          Blake Wood has recently put the 2000 course description and related
          table on the web site, www.run100s.com/HR/. Included in the cut off
          tables is a column of historical times at the major aid stations for
          those finishing close to 48 hours. People who get through the Putnam
          Basin aid station (95.8 mi) by 3:30 am on Sunday morning seem to be
          able to finish under 48 hours. This includes 3.8 miles of stumbing
          down a a very rocky trail in the Silverton Bear Creek to the roped
          wading of South Mineral Creek. Once across the river, there is a short
          uphill scramble to an abandoned railroad bed then follwing this dirt
          trail for another 1.2 mi. Both of these sections still require some
          brain function to negotiate. Finally at mi 100.8, remember the course
          is 101.7 mi, you hit a dirt road where you can function with almost no
          visible alterness..
          with the exception you turn off this road after about a half mi and do
          a short cross country and finish on the streets of Silverton.

          With regard to flashlights on Saturday night/Sunday morning, at a 47:30
          pace you will be using one from near Chapman Gulch, about mile 83 to
          within a mile of the finish. As Karl, Matt and Roger have said on the
          list, familiarity with with section from Chapman to the finish will add
          your chances of getting across it in a low IQ mode using a flashlight.

          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
            --- Hans-Dieter Weisshaar <HD.WEISSHAAR@...> >
            1. At which time begins the flashlight time on
            > Saturday evening or how
            > many hours after start on Friday 6 a.m. ?

            I was close to a 48 hour pace in '98. The dark parts
            are Handies Peak to Ouray and the top of Grant-Swamp
            pass to the finish (or in my case, where I got lost,
            to the Putnam aid station).

            > 2. How many miles of the tail (mile 99 - finish,
            > mile 98 - finish ...)
            > can be walked (marched or run) in darkness with an
            > IQ less than a
            > potato?

            I would say none of it. Toward the end I would even
            get lost on the roads.

            > 4. Anyway, are there any splittime-tables available
            > for moving in that
            > way (3.) ?

            The race packets include splits from 2 years ago
            (rather than last year) when the race was in the same
            diretion.

            > 5. Finally: If your time for exploring (walking) the
            > unknown trail is
            > restricted to three or four days, who can make
            > recommendations about the
            > "problem"-areas,

            I hope you live near some high mountains, or have an
            altitude tent or hypobaric chamber, otherwise I would
            recommend 2 weeks acclimation minimum, 4 weeks if you
            can.

            For learning the course, I recommend:
            1. Kamm Traverse to the finish (including the last
            mile from the road crossing to Silverton). Moderatly
            hard, second night.
            2. Grant-Swamp pass (or Chapman) to KT. Hard, dark
            if you're slow.
            3. Handies Peak to Grouse Gulch. Hard, lots of snow,
            may be dark.
            4. Lower Bear Creek to Ouray. Easy to moderate, but
            dark and confusing, easy to get lost.
            5. Governor's Basin to Virginius. Very hard, still
            dark if you're fast.

            =====
            http://im.yahoo.com