Re: [LT100Run] Re: [hr100] CRESTONES:> Why not a 100 in NM ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
      --- rock cogar <rock_cogar@...> wrote:
      > Matt, Hans, Groups,
      >
      > All this Class III-V stuff sounds fun, but the turnout
      > is a bit on the small side.

      Actually, there's no class 5 unless you're lost. However I'll consider
      making the Prow and Ellingwood's Arete part of the course if there's
      enough interest :-)

      Anyway I expect the turnout to be small, at least this year. Most big
      races started out this way. Western States had just 1 runner the first
      year because nobody thought it could be done. I'd enter now before
      there's a lottery :-)

      > Maybe it is time for a really hard (20,000' climb?)
      > 100 miler in New Mexico ??

      Good. Put one on. I'll run it.

      BTW, I should mention that when I called the race the "Crestone
      marathon and 100 mile fun run", I meant that while you are running 100
      miles on the X axis, you are running a marathon on the Y axis. 68,000
      feet of climb = 13 miles. 68,000 feet of descent = 13 miles. By
      similar reasoning, we would have the "Leadville 10K" and "Hardrock Half
      Marathon".

      =====