HARDROCK 2002 I

  • Hans-Dieter Weisshaar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2002
      Dear friends,

      on Friday 12th of July six runner started in front of
      the Silverton school at 0600 for the Hardrock 100
      course:

      Jim Drummond (Scotland)
      Tom Garrison
      Ginny LaForme
      Emily Loman
      John "Timberline" Robinson
      Hans-Dieter Weisshaar.

      Crewing was done by
      Roanne Robinson (for John)
      Ernst (for Emily)
      Susi (for Hans)
      Mary Anne (for Jim)
      Ginny was crewed by all of them.

      Ginny dropped short after Cunningham, painful
      suffering because of a bike accident ten days ago (a
      huge hematome like a big tattoo on her upper left
      leg).

      Hans gave up after Sherman before Burrows, feeling
      weak and having severe stomach-problem after consuming
      three cans of ENSURE PLUS (stupidity-details will
      follow).

      Tom had planned from the beginning to stop at Grouse,
      where he was cheered by his family, the crews and
      Hans.

      Optimistic Jim from Scotland started with map, Johns
      course desription and a compass. He soon "chased the
      field". He got lost several times, esp. before
      descending Little Giant, later twice towards Sherman
      at the Colorado trail-intersection before Cataract
      Pass and after Cataract lake finding the traverse to
      the Sherman descend. He met two bears too and did some
      cruel climbings as well! He arrived in Sherman at
      about 2100 and continued to Burrows (2300) and top of
      Handies via Grizzly (0500 on Sat.) He missed
      American-Grouse saddle and descended to American
      Basin, where he got a ride to Grouse. Mary Anne waited
      the entire night in the rented Stratus at Gouse Gulche
      for him! All of us felt happy, when he appeared.

      Emily and John made it together until Telluride, when
      Emily - smarter than me at Kettle Moraine some weeks
      ago - stopped because of tendon problems. I saw Emily
      Sunday and diagnosed a classical "Tendovaginitis
      crepitans" of the adductors of right foot. Rest, rest,
      rest.

      I heard (when I wanted to congratulate him, I found
      him deeply sleeping in Charlies house), that John
      finished in fantastic 36 hours. Roanne acribicly noted
      all in- and out- times of all of us and I am expecting
      John's detailed report (with the pictures).

      I rested Saturday and Sunday and tried Hardrock 100
      counter clockwise on Monday morning again. Report will
      follow soon.

      Best regards to all of you from Silverton (actually
      Durango)

      Hans "the German"

      http://autos.yahoo.com