Hardrock Cancellation

  • Brett Gosney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26 3:19 PM
      From a local's perspective, I wanted to mention that I and a number of other
      Durango folks that are involved with the HRH as volunteers or runners fully
      support the decision of the HRH Board and Dale Garland to cancel this year's
      run. I know it was an agonizing decision for them, but there is no doubt
      they did the right thing.

      Since the Missionary Ridge fire started June 9, the resources and the
      spirit of this community have been pushed to the limit. Every morning we
      wake up to a town and a landscape choked with smoke. As I write this, there
      is ash falling from the sky outside my office window in the middle of
      Durango. Some of our neighbors have lost their homes and many more have
      been evacuated, unable to return home for days or weeks. The fire has
      become a 70,000 acre Monster we cannot control and perhaps, worst of all,
      is completely unpredictable.

      In this context, the notion of inserting 400-500 people in the backcountry
      of the San Juans for a run would have been unconscionable. One catalytic
      converter on one car igniting one weed could become the next Monster. No
      kidding, the conditions are just that bad.

      This was to be my first Hardrock. And so, here I sit, like a new retiree
      on Monday morning, not quite knowing what to do with myself. But here's to
      the future and the health of our community, our forest, our mountains and
      the continuing success of the Hardrock Hundred.

      Brett Gosney
      Durango, CO