[hr100] Re: This Way

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2000
      --- carolyn erdman <cerdman@...> wrote:
      > I have never run the course in this direction. What
      > do I need to know
      > about doing it this way? Anyone have any training
      > tips for a 50+ year
      > old lady to get around the course this year and to
      > the finish before
      > the cutoff?

      Study the last 10-20 miles carefully. It will look
      different on your second sleepless night. It sure did
      to me, which is why I got lost and DNF'ed even after
      hiking it a week before. Having a pacer would help here.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Roger Wiegand
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2000
        After my experience last year, I fully agree that a pacer is a good idea if
        you are one of those people like me who need to continue into the second
        night. The course is well marked, and the written course description is
        clear, but it takes an IQ of about 80 or so to make sense of it all. The
        brain just doesn't work very well after a long time without sleep. (You
        might not sleep very well the night before the run, you know.)

        If the river crossing is in good shape (or if the rope is up) I plan to do
        the section from KT to the finish on Tuesday before the run, in order to try
        to imprint the course on my memory. The distinguishing features are entirely
        different when you go in the reverse direction. Is there anyone else
        interested in this Tuesday sojourn?

        See you all in a few months.

        Roger

        Roger A. Wiegand
        http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2000
          > If the river crossing is in good shape (or if the
          > rope is up) I plan to do
          > the section from KT to the finish on Tuesday before
          > the run, in order to try
          > to imprint the course on my memory.

          I will too, even though it didn't work the last time.
          In spite of my advice, I will probably be running
          without a pacer (or crew or drop bags).

          BTW, if there is no rope, you can cross the river by
          moving with the current instead of fighting it, even
          if the current is very fast. Pick a spot downstream
          on the other side and head for it, crossing at a 30-45
          degree angle to the river. It is easier than you
          think, but once you are in the water do not try to
          stop or head upstream unless you are a good swimmer.
          This might be good practice in case you lose your grip
          on the rope during the race.

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • carolyn erdman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2000
            Well, doing this part of the course on Tuesday is a good idea but may that
            be too close to race day? And isn't that the 4th of July? And I have heard
            a rumor that there is going to be a Hardorck 100 entry in the Silverton
            parade that day. Just a rumor.
            Carolyn thanks Roger!!! and Matt

            At 05:00 PM 3/2/00 -0600, you wrote:
            >After my experience last year, I fully agree that a pacer is a good idea if
            >you are one of those people like me who need to continue into the second
            >night. The course is well marked, and the written course description is
            >clear, but it takes an IQ of about 80 or so to make sense of it all. The
            >brain just doesn't work very well after a long time without sleep. (You
            >might not sleep very well the night before the run, you know.)
            >
            >If the river crossing is in good shape (or if the rope is up) I plan to do
            >the section from KT to the finish on Tuesday before the run, in order to
            try
            >to imprint the course on my memory. The distinguishing features are
            entirely
            >different when you go in the reverse direction. Is there anyone else
            >interested in this Tuesday sojourn?
            >
            >See you all in a few months.
            >
            >Roger
            >

            >Roger A. Wiegand
            >http://www.math.unl.edu/~rwiegand

            >Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
            >supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!

            >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hr100/?m=1

          • Charles T. Thorn
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2000
              I will try to ensure the rope is up on or before Tuesday of the run.

              Charlie Thorn

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2000
                --- "Charles T. Thorn" <thorn@...> wrote:
                > I will try to ensure the rope is up on or before
                > Tuesday of the run.

                Aw! What fun is that?

                =====
                http://im.yahoo.com