RE: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Cancellation

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
      Deb and I just cancelled our reservations...Dale, tough decision, but a good
      one...

      Hope to see you all out there next year, best of luck with the fire....we
      pray for rain!
      Steve and Deb Pero
      Jaffrey, NH

    • kernkt@cybermesa.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
        According to some of the entrants, Primal Quest is still on. Start is
        July 3, I think. I wonder, with 70 4-person teams, are they providing
        their own search and rescue, etc? I think Dales point about not
        adding any potential demand on emergency personnel is one of the
        biggest reasons not to hold an event.

        Kris

      • jan gnass
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 27, 2002
          Dale, John and HR board members,

          This must have been a very tough decision but it was for sure a very prudent
          one. I'm betting the Forest managers and fire management people will be
          very appreciative of this effort as it will surely simplify their task at
          hand. What they don't need is more fires and exposures to worry about.
          Thanks for your hard work.
          See you all next year.

          Jan Gnass
> [...]
          > Currently there are no plans for the HRH to take an active role in fire
          > mitigation efforts. However, if there are any Hardrockers out there who
          > will be in the area and who may want to volunteer for the myriad of jobs
          > associated with fighting these fires, please contact RD Dale Garland and
          > he will put you in touch with the appropriate agencies.
          > The HRH BOD and run management are evaluating how this will affect
          > entries into the 2003 run and we will make an announcement shortly as to
          > how we will handle this. What we do know is that 2002 entrants will have
          > a chance to roll over their entries to the 2003 run.
          > As some of these decisions are made we will post them to both of these
          > lists as well as the HRH homepage (www.run100s.com/HR). If you have any
          > questions, concerns or comments, please feel free to contact either of
          > us. We look forward to seeing you in 2003.

        • Roger Wiegand
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
            Dale,

            I'm so sorry that this has happened after all the hard work you and the
            other race committee members have put in on the run. Even though I had
            to drop out this year, my thoughts would have been with all the runners
            and volunteers. I hope that the San Juans will eventually recover from
            the brutal effects of the fires and that the HRH will again be the most
            beautiful run in the world.

            Best,

            Roger

          • HD.weisshaar@T-Online.DE
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
              Friends,

              the first schock hit me in Governor Basin on Wednesday noon, when the
              Turners reported the cancellation. Sadness, emptiness, not meeting the
              friends, no run.

              The second schock came an hour later: NO SNOW at Virginius!

              And there is almost no snow at Oscar's and just a finger thick running
              water in Porcupine! Dry.

              I met Lisa yesterday and told her: Can you imagine, what would happen
              with the future of the race if the the run produces a new fire and
              kills trees, plants, animals, maybe humans.

              Susi and I are still sad and recovering just very slowly, but the
              decicion of the board is a must and inevitable.
              See all of you next year at the latest.

              Hans und Susi
            • Kris
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                Ginny,

                so are you going out to Ed's run? What is your plan? I need to decide
                this week if I'm going there or PD.

                Kris